Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget Wireless Router

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Budget Wireless Router

You don't unless you want to use just a single box and be eco-freindly tijara33

11110_110, how on earth will I be saving the planet by doing away with the OR modem?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I don't think he was as ambitious as saving the planet, just saving a small amount of electricity.
My vote is the Talk Talk super router (HG635).
For around £30 from ebay, it has:
a very strong wireless both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
wireless ac, with a suitable wireless card in the PC it give a wifi connection >800Mbps
4 Gigabit ethernet ports.
can replace the BT fibre modem or connect to the BT modem.
Can be configure for plusnet.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I tried to find one of them, but there was so many TT routers there and very little details on them. The few I saw were well over £30.
I got my HH5 for £20 (along with a HH4 & a BT Vision box that will both end up on ebay when I get the pics done.)
npr
Pro

Yes, there is some confusion with some of the sellers, some appear to be calling any old TT router a "super router".
It's only the HG635 which has a fibre modem and 5GHz wifi.
As a further check that it's a hg635, if there's a photo, the front right bottom corner has the talk talk logo.
Mine was £30 but that was some months ago, they may have become more popular now.
petecov44
Grafter

Sorry just incase I was talking swahelian before.
I have a free ap worth about £50 that any many people use because its good that you can have if you want.
dick:red All caps edited as per forum rule.
npr
Pro

That's a good deal in any language.
But does it have a good wireless, that was the OP's main requirement.
petecov44
Grafter

Sorry Strat, I felt like I was not being seen Tongue
Yes the wireless on it is crackin, it's got 3 antennas. its only N but that should be enough? Ive used it on virgin as a pure AP and it's always given me full speed so 160mbps over wireless.
It was a monitoring unit but i flashed it with WW-DRT
Edit: Here's a better picture. I forgot it was sat behind me so I took one of the actual unit. Sorry it's sideways when you click it it is not.

willas00
Grafter

Ordered this one from Amazon
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router(2.4GHz 300Mbps, 5GHz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Printer Sharing, FTP Server and Media Server) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WjFGub092GKBS
Due to arrive tomorrow
adam1240
Grafter

Quote from: willas00
Ordered this one from Amazon
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router(2.4GHz 300Mbps, 5GHz 300Mbps, 2 USB Ports for Storage Sharing, Printer Sharing, FTP Server and Media Server) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_WjFGub092GKBS
Due to arrive tomorrow

Hi, how was this router? any good?
WWWombat
Grafter

I have a WDR3600 that I think works fine; I like the fact it runs the 5GHz channel simultaneously, though I wish it had more power to give more range. That would be legal in the UK, but most boxes are made to the American (lower) restriction.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
westbusker
Grafter

Speaking from my personal experience I did have a lovely looking ASUS RT-AC56U that ticked all the boxes apart from not having a vdsl modem. The problem was the 2.4ghz range was awful, so bad I sent it back.
Finally the TP-Link TD-W9980 came back into stock in the UK & I have it up & running. It ticks ALL the boxes.
4 gig LAN Ports
Combined VDSL/Router, no need for the Openreach modem
Great 2.4ghz range
Guest Wireless Network
2 USB ports for print server/file sharing
Load more features that I don’t understand
Looks the part Smiley
£70 inc delivery

Sorted.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Well i have a ASUS RT-AC56U and also noticed the 2.4ghz speeds were abit naff, so i changed to 5ghz range and the wireless is much better.
westbusker
Grafter

Yeah, I would of switched to the 5ghz range but the wife's laptop did not support that range.
I was lucky Broadband Buyer agreed to take it back for a swop to the TP-Link.
The Asus had some nice features like the Asus Aicloud which was very useful, my TP-Link does not have these features.
Decided to go with a static I.P. and use openvpn on my qnap nas to remote access my files instead.