cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds getting slower by the month

markagm

Broadband speeds getting slower by the month

I've got 7 months left of my unlimited fibre broadband and have found that my speeds are getting slower and slower. More so with wifi connection. At times it's actually quicker to turn the wifi off and use 4G. My partner never uses wifi on his phone anymore, as 4G is considerably quicker than plus net. I've tried restarting the router and changing the wifi channels etc but it doesn't help.

Example: click on a webpage and it can take anything from 10secs to 4mins to load, sometimes just times out saying lost connection. However, if I switch wifi off then the same page loads instantly. I'm considering switching to another provider as I'm getting sick of having a slow internet. The speed we should get is up to 38Mb and a speed test on my iPad shows wifi at upload of 37Mb, but if it really was that speed then webpages shouldn't take so long to load. I use safari and chrome and there's no difference between the two.

I thought maybe plusnet might be throttling our speed because we use around 300GB of Internet a month ( due to gaming, Netflix, Spotify etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

10 REPLIES 10
jt
Grafter

Re: Broadband speeds getting slower by the month

Got the same exact problem as you. Each month it keeps getting worse 70>60>50 and now I'm at 40, same with the upload too 20>9. I'm paying for fibre extra and I'm getting fibre speeds. I'm sick of trying to get help as it doesn't exist with this company.
Markagm
Dabbler

My uploads speeds don't go above 1Mb, which can be annoying when I'm trying to upload things to the cloud. I just don't understand how webpages can take so long to load over wifi compared to 4G

jt
Grafter

Got same trouble when uploading sometimes, I've got lots to upload to the cloud and it completely slows everything down.

I guess the common denominator is BT, they shouldn't be allowed to own the whole network.

I can't wait for my contract to end, sick of giving my money to Plusnet, their support is abysmal.
sarczoid
Rising Star

Same here....

Essentially BT Openreach, as the network provider, are to blame because:

1. They tell us what speeds are possible, then we get them, then they drop over time (which is by design of the system) and we have no right to complain because the T&Cs don't guarantee the speed you had

2. BT haven't bothered to roll out vectoring to all cabinets, which deals with crosstalk on the line

Essentially, BT need to be broken up, the sooner the better.

sarczoid
Rising Star

Please don't blame plusnet, trust me, support from other ISPs is far worse....

BT Openreach are to blame for the poor service on the network

Markagm
Dabbler

Is there anything I can do to improve speeds besides what I've already done, or leaving Plusnet for another provider. Currently using the supplied TG582n router.

sarczoid
Rising Star

Theres no point leaving plusnet, its not the ISP that is at fault here.

Your line speed is down to the copper between your house and the cabinet.....    BT are to blame for this as they haven't bothered enabling vectoring to cut down on crosstalk.

Essentially, VDSL will keep getting slower the more people who use it in your neighbourhood, particularly next door who will be using the same ducts and maybe even the same copper pairs....

The only way to help would be to get a better router, and to hack the SNR Margin. (Shhhush)

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@markagm

You may have a problem on your line or you could have been caught in this issue https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/m-p/1354749#U135...

First thing is to check for a phone fault (if Plusnet provide the phone start here https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ ) If you do have a phone voice fault, report it as such and do not mention any broadband issues. And then when that is fixed, see if the broadband is better.

Then if still not solved (or no phone fault is in evidence) start with the FTTC guides at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Fault-Guides/m-p/1156188#U1156188

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jt
Grafter

I still think Plusnet are to be blamed, their lack of actual support should be taken into account. You don't have to go far to hear complaints about how shoddy their service is (not saying other ISPs aren't shoddy)

I really wish there could be some other company than BT, it shouldn't be allowed to own a monopoly.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The government recent threat to separate Openreach seems to have spurred some activity in BT and on journeys into the sticks I'm frequently seeing teams installing fibre, and new cabinets. Things are happening with Broadband, rollouts should be faster, or BT risk losing a major moneyspinner. Loss of profitable business is the biggest spur of all in the commercial world, and the government should set expected service levels that at laest make BT/Openreach jog to achieve. Doing that focuses  minds upon delivery over return.

We can but hope that speeds and capacity will keep being improved away from the biggest population centres.