cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds fluctuate and disconnects frequently

andrewdhampson
Hooked

Broadband speeds fluctuate and disconnects frequently

I recently switched to Plusnet from NowTV and ever since the switch I have been struggling with an unstable broadband connection and massive fluctuations in download/upload speeds. An Openreach engineer has come out on two occasions - and informed me that there are now no issues between the master socket and the exchange and yet the fault has persisted. Wi-fi is practically unsusable, we use our phones mobile-data for internet browsing and video streaming but we have a number of wi-fi devices which are now redundant. Reading through the forum - it seems this is a common problem, why has Plusnet not yet found a fix for this? How can they expect customers to be willing to pay for their service when it hasn't been usable at all? 

If anybody has any solutions then it will be much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Broadband speeds fluctuate and disconnects frequently

At first glance, this looks poor and I'd expect an engineer to be able to resolve this for you.

I appreciate your comments about what the engineer has said, but I want to confirm if you've tried in the master socket?

I also note that a lot of connections drop after 27 minutes. Do you use our router? If not, Is there an idle timeout set? Can you confirm if you lose sync (or when the problems occur, can you tell us the light status of the router?)

All of this will assist the forum to help further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre and duplicate post removed.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
andrewdhampson
Hooked

I have tried in the master socket but not since the most recent engineer visit last week. The engineer switched our socket for a newer version just in case that was the cause - he said sometimes an old socket can cause a loose connection but as the problem has persisted then it can't be the case. I use a plusnet router. When the connection drops the hub light is orange and the broadband light flashes red/orange but sometimes is just a steady red/orange too. On Tuesday - Wednesday - stability seemed a little better but speeds were poor (max. 5-6 Mbps)

andrewdhampson
Hooked

Can you please provide a radius log dating back to when my service began on 31-1-20? Also, how frequently do you carry out speed tests - can this data also be shared for the same time period please?

Many thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @andrewhampson,

Thanks for getting back to us here and apologies for the delayed response.

I'm sorry you are still having these issues with your connection and I apologise for the frustration caused. I've checked over the service and provided a further response over a support ticket. Please reply with the requested info and we can get the ball rolling.

In regards to the your request for a RADIUS connection log, I've provided the most recent stats via this link - I'm unable to provide anything earlier due to system limitations. The testing we perform on a line is generally only done once we have confirmation from a customer there is an issue or something isn't right - we don't proactively test your service.

Thanks.