Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed reduced following power cut

FIXED
BertCoules
Grafter

Broadband speed reduced following power cut

A rather nasty unexpected power cut yesterday (which fried my Sky + box amongst other things) has left my fibre broadband speed distinctly lower than normal: I'm now seeing a consistent 52Mb download speed compared to the previous 70-odd Mb. It's not exactly a disastrous reduction but it is annoying and I'd be grateful for any thoughts and suggestions as to how to return things to normal, assuming that it's possible to do so.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Broadband speed reduced following power cut

Hi @BertCoules,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced these issues. Upon testing your line today I've detected an external phone fault, which is most likely the cause of the fault you're experiencing. I've raised a ticket concerning this on your account, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks for that, Alex H.  Much appreciated.

BertCoules
Grafter

An interesting development this morning: both broadband and my phone line went dead for some ten minutes.   When everything started up again I checked the line speed, but unfortunately it was still at 52Mb: this has been remarkably consistent ever since the power cut.

BertCoules
Grafter

I just had a visit from a BT engineer who was working in my street: he confirmed that there had been an external phone fault, which he'd now fixed.  We checked the line speed again and it was still at 52Mb so he advised me to call Plusnet and ask for the speed to be reset.  "Or give it a few days and it might go back up on its own," he said,  "but it's possible that the power cut damaged your modem: it would be worth asking for a replacement".

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi Bert.

I can see your router is in sync at 67.5mbps and while there's no speed restrictions on your line, it looks like your speeds are being restricted by the profile set at an old sync rate on our system. 

I've just nudged it up now, can you reboot your router and retest your speed?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertCoules
Grafter

Hi Anoush.  That has made a significant difference: the latest speed test gave a reading of 63.65 Mb.  This is hugely better, though not quite where things were before the power cut, and lower than your reading of 67.5: Should I  expect to see a gradual rise back to that sort of level?.  Many thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Bert. It's good to see your speeds have improved. Thumbs_Up

It's difficult to say if your line speeds will improve from 67.5mbps as our tests aren't showing any issues now and they're within expectations over at http://dslchecker.bt.com of between 59.7mbps and 80mbps. 

I'd consider the 4mbps drop in speed you're seeing on a speedtest as normal for a line speed of 67mbps to be honest. Having said that are you testing over a wired or wireless connection? As you may be losing this speed over WiFi.

If your speeds are better on a wired connection I'd give the steps here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 a go to try to improve the wireless signal.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BertCoules
Grafter

Anoush,  any further improvements (I'm using a wired connection) will be a bonus: I'm perfectly happy with what I've now got.  Many thanks for your help and advice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool. Sounds good, no problem.

Let us know if you need any further assistance or we can help with anything else.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet