Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slow and unstable, multiple drop outs

FIXED
Aitch21
Dabbler

Broadband slow and unstable, multiple drop outs

For about the last 5 weeks broadband has been slow and unstable. Multiple devices report slow and unstable connection at various times (for example TV spends a lot of time buffering then reports that the connection has dropped). Drop outs are frequent. Re-starting the router tends to stabilise things but problems return after 12-24hours. Sometimes the router takes some persuading to come back on line.

I've tried following the troubleshooting but haven't found the problem, although I couldn't source an alternative router and this seems the most likely cause. My wall socket is the type with the telephone and broadband  sockets one above the other and no separate modem.

I appreciate it's difficult to diagnose but the whole family are getting frustrated and blaming me!

Tags (2)
38 REPLIES 38
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband slow and unstable, multiple drop outs

@Aitch21 Welcome to the forums. Two suggestions - (1) dial 17070 from your landline, select option 2. After confirming your phone number, the only thing you should hear is the 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise at all, report a phone fault first.

(2) Post the results from your router Help Desk page - it may give us an idea.

John
Aitch21
Dabbler

Thanks John, quiet line test seems quiet. 

Sorry for being dumb - how do I find my router Help Desk page?

jab1
Legend

Does this picture help?:

HubOneTroubleshootingHelpDesk.png

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Aitch21

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your broadband service. To be honest, tests on the line aren't picking these disconnections up, I'll pop a visual radius below. Can I ask, when did you split the SSID's on your router? This is usually a common fix as we did have some well documented problems with the 5GHz band recently.

Going forward, please have a look through our support article on improving your wireless connection, and let us know if the problems continue.

WIFI Support https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

-Adam - Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Aitch21
Dabbler

Thanks John, I've got this

Screenshot 2021-09-18 154945.png

Aitch21
Dabbler

I split the SSIDs over a year ago after reading advice on this forum that this could cause drop outs. All been fine, with 4 of us at home doing lessons and work, until a few weeks ago. 

jab1
Legend

@Aitch21 Thanks for that screenshot, I note the connection has only been up for a short while - have you had multiple total drop-outs? Your Attenuation looks as though you are mightily close to the cabs?

John
jab1
Legend

@adam945 Any chance of that Radius log? 😉

John
Aitch21
Dabbler

Keep having to re-set the router as that is the only way we can get a stable connection for a few hours , but that is getting less and less.  Drop outs happen very frequently on several devices.

jab1
Legend

OK, @Aitch21 Continuous multiple resets could upset the Dynamic Line Management, although apart from the SNR values looking a bit - which could be due to your closeness to the cabs, and therefore not a worry, I too can't see any reason for your issues.

Another thought - are you on a 40/10 or 80/20 profile, do you know?

John
Aitch21
Dabbler

Thanks @jab1 . Sorry, what do you mean "closeness to the cabs"? Does this mean that the router is too close to the electrical wire?

Sorry, no idea about the profile.

I've changed the channel to 11, from 6.

Aitch21
Dabbler

Seems to be disconnecting repeatedly while I'm chatting to you here - "a network change is detected"

jab1
Legend

No, 'closeness to the cabs' means that I suspect the BT 'green boxes' must be almost outside your house to give the figures on the Help Desk, which is good.

Easier question re: the profile - are you on 'Plusnet Fibre' or 'Plunset Fibre Extra'?

Leave the channels alone for a while - I don't think they are the issue.

John
jab1
Legend

@Aitch21 wrote:

Seems to be disconnecting repeatedly while I'm chatting to you here - "a network change is detected"

Sorry - without sight of the logs that show that, I wouldn't like to comment - I'm not a network expert.

John