cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband randomly disconnecting.

Emj_rose

Broadband randomly disconnecting.

My fibre broadband connection keeps dropping. It happens randomly at times but has escalated this week with issues noticed every day. On Monday I would reset the router it would connect for c20seconds then drop again. Following the guidance online I can get it up and running again by disconnecting the router and micro filter from the master socket and reconnecting it. This resolves the issue for the time being but I’ve had to do this 3 or 4 times over the past 24hrs. Today it happened in the middle of an interview for work which isn’t ideal. How can I stop this happening in the first place?
6 REPLIES 6
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Broadband randomly disconnecting.

Hi @Emj_rose,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the connection. I've tested the line and whilst we can see the connection is dropping out, we're unable to find the cause of this. Have you had the chance to remove the faceplate from the master socket and set the router up within the test socket in the property? If you haven't, I'd recommend doing so and we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Emj_rose

Hi AJ,

Thanks for the tip. We’ve been away but haven’t noticed the problem happening again since being plugged into the test socket. Does this mean there’s an issue with the main socket? Or are we ok to remain on the test? Many thanks
Emily
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Emj_rose

I hope you've had a good time away. I'm glad to see that your broadband looks to be stable while in the test socket. That suggest the issue may either be the faceplate of the master socket, or any extension sockets/wiring you might have. It'd be perfectly fine to leave your router in the test socket all the time, in fact that's where I keep mine at home. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Emj_rose

So I may have spoke too soon…
Last weekend I split my 2.4 and 5Ghz. I added a new password to the 5Ghz so no settings changed for the 2.4ghz connection. My alexas (which I kept on the 2.4ghz frequency) kept dropping out and saying the password wasn’t recognised so today I gave up and synced them again. From there it’s just been on and off today. I did a factory reset and then updated my wifi name and password but a number of times devices said the password was incorrect when it wasn’t. It settled this afternoon and now the router is dropping in and out again. Even with the blue light it’s saying no internet connection or DHCP server. I’ve turned the power on and off and disconnected from the master socket but struggling to get it back online at all at the moment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it the router/my set up or the house do you think?
Many thanks
Emily
Emj_rose

Quick update.
Router was back online around 11pm last night so down for two hours. This morning my 2.4ghz frequency doesn’t seem to be working again, I have a 2.4ghz extender and it can’t see the network, same with alexas out of range of 5ghz.
Many thanks
Emily
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Emj_rose

Thanks a lot for reaching out again and I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems. I've run some tests on the line which aren't showing any issues with the service, though drop outs are apparent. going forward, please have a loo through out Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to rectify this issue internally. If you can, please remove the faceplate from your master socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too.

In regards to your WIFI, I've just run what we call "Smart Wireless" on our end, which adjusts the WIFI channels on your router to those best for your environment. I did not want to split the SSID's as you're using extenders.

If the drop outs do not improve, head over to faults.plus.net and raise this with our Technical Support Team.

Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds