cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband minimum speed guarantee not met consistently

Slater11_

Broadband minimum speed guarantee not met consistently

My minimum guaranteed speed on my Unlimited Fibre Extra package is 36mbps.

I have been getting anywhere from 20-27mbps whilst using a Cat 6A cable connected to my laptop.I have also been getting high latency at times- anywhere from 50-80ms ping. It is quite erratic, sometimes I get 6ms then it'd instantly jump up to 83ms.

If anyone could help me by monitoring the network etc. I'd appreciate it very much.

7 REPLIES 7
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Broadband minimum speed guarantee not met consistently

Hi

How are you measuring your speed?  Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed is based on your sync speed which will always be faster than what you can get on speed tests, though something doesn't sound right with your pings either.

Could you post what the Availability Checker says (blanking out your phone number if you post a screenshot), and also your router stats.  If you're using a Plusnet Hub One then this will be on the Helpdesk tab (again blanking out your username).  If you're using a different hub then if you say what it is, then I'm sure someone will be able to help you find the details.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Slater11_, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been seeing speed issues as of recent.
Checking over your connection from this side currently I can see we're seeing the full 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload reaching your router currently with no signs of this having been lower over the last few days. On top of this, we're also no detecting any errors or underlying issues that we'd usually see in line with a ping spike issue. It hints then, it could be something internal behind the speed and performance issues as something causing this after the connection reaches the router would explain why we're seeing no issues when we're testing.

I'd suggest then, the next time you're seeing performance issues to firstly make sure that nothing is heavily using the connection and taking up most of the bandwidth which could explain the issues. I'd also see if you can replicate the speed or ping issue son another devices (ideally wired).

Please do let us know how it goes and if speed and ping issues look to persist.

Slater11_

Hello pjmarsh

I am using a BT Smart Hub 2 to connect to the internet that I bought online. I used the Plusnet Hub One before but I had many issues with it in terms of range.

When I did the speed tests, I was using a Cat 6A cable connected directly to my computer. I have also carried out tests on another machine and both are odd. Sometimes I get 32mbps downstream speeds as shown below with low ping and more often, I get 20-27mbps speeds with >50ms ping.

Here is another speed test I just did now with no devices connected to the network using a Cat 6A cable wired directly from the router to my laptop. This was the best I got out of 3 tests:

Screenshot from 2021-10-20 20-58-36.png

Here is the sync speed info from my router:

Screenshot from 2021-10-20 20-47-58.png

Here is the info from the availability checker:

Screenshot from 2021-10-20 20-42-42.png

I am not an expert but I suspect there might be something wrong with the actual master socket in my home (but it's unlikely because its only 3yrs old). God knows. Thanks haha.

Slater11_

Hi @BD 

I have done a speed test using my laptop wired up to my router with no other devices on the network (attached above)

I have also just done another speed test using my desktop computer which is also wired and here are the results:

Screenshot from 2021-10-20 21-09-00.png

(using Google)

and:

Screenshot from 2021-10-20 21-14-20.png

(using speedtest.net)

This is pretty much the best speeds and pings I have gotten in a couple days. Its been over 50ms for a while.

I am getting performance issues constantly with web pages not loading in, so I need to refresh sometimes which works after a few tries haha.

Thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Checking over your connection from this side currently I can see we're seeing the full 40Mbps download and 10Mbps upload reaching your router currently with no signs of this having been lower over the last few days. 

@BD. Ben,  something doesn't seem right there! @Slater11_ says they're on Fibre Extra and their subsequent post shows completely different synch speeds to those you quote? ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Slater11_

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

I'm not entirely sure which line Ben was testing Sad but testing your line is showing the following:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted BBEU]

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 32.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 15.6 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 595.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type Internal
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-10-14T20:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 31.0 Mbps 36.0 Mbps 32.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 14.6 Mbps 15.6 Mbps 15.3 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 619.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-10-21T07:33:09.677+01:00 2021-10-21T07:48:09.677+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Could you report a fault by text through the steps Here so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further?

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Slater11_

Okay I will do so!

Thanks a ton.

I will inform you on what happens later