cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping

bobdcruz

Broadband keeps dropping

Broadband has been reasonably good for last few months.  Since the 11th of Jan it has dropped out 14 times according to the router log.  Some of those times were during the night, but what made me look was the number of dropouts yesterday (6) and today (5).  11 droputs in 2 days, the dropout is between 10 and 40 seconds each time.

Note: this is the routers WAN/Broadband connection, not WiFi dropping.

Speeds are ok, but the dropout is a pain having to reconnect calls and vpn etc. 

Is something going on ?

Or is this a line fault, I can't report to Plusnet of course, you never can......

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

Welcome to the forums @bobdcruz . Is this an ADSL or FTTC connection please ?

John
bobdcruz

John

The last email from plusnet on broadband product change says "Unlimited Fibre Extra", but the speed mentioned is not what I am getting, it says 61 to 80Mbps, never seen it above 40Mbps.

Cheers Bob

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK Bob. In that case, I will ask for this to be moved to the Fibre board, as this is the ADSL one and you are asking in the wrong place.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobdcruz

Still getting dropouts, there were 3 today that I noticed (as in one of us was kicked off a Teams call), checking the log it seems this has happed 7 times since Friday.  With 2 of us forced to work from home and one teenager schooling from home this is becoming a real nuisance ......

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @bobdcruz, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. Checking your connection from this side I can see the drops you're referring to shown by the graph below however there's only been one period over the last 7 days where the connection has been dropping enough for it to be deemed investigation worthy by our suppliers.

An intermittent connection fault is where we can see the connection is dropping 3 times within 24 hours or 6 times within 72 hours which does look to have occurred a few days ago however the drops look to have been a lot less since. I'd advise then, to monitor the connection further your side and should the drops look to worsen to begin going through a few checks that may narrow down the location of the issue as currently we aren't picking up any cause for the drops in our testing.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

If the problem still persists from here and you do start to see an increase in the drops then please do get back to us and we'll happily look to investigate further.

bobdcruz

Thanks BD

I have been monitoring the situation, to the point I can tell you dates and times of every drop out and for how long.  There have been 23 drop outs since the 11th January.  Lasting between 10 seconds and 40 seconds.  Comparing my data with yours then perhaps you system does not pick up the very short ones, each of the times you report are for 30 - 40 seconds of drop out.  But they are still happening and are significant enought to drop a VPN connection etc. so the end user impact is higher than on the face of what might be a 10 second drop.

The worst day we had here was on the 14th, your chart only shows one issue, but our router log shows that there were 6 dropouts,

No devices have changed in the house and we have only 1 landline phone which we left disconnected earlier today, it did not change anything.  Openreach came out some time last year and replaced a wall plate and tested everything as fine.  Nothing has changed since they were here.

Speed tests don't show any issue, although not at the expected speed based on the email from Plusnet, it is better than it was last year. It used to be around 36Mbps download, now its around 42Mbps with upload nearly 10Mbps.  So not complainung about the speed, just the drop outs.

You said "there's only been one period over the last 7 days where the connection has been dropping enough for it to be deemed investigation worthy by our suppliers." so perhaps on this basis you could get them to investigate.

Thanks

Bob

geology

I have a similar situation. Broadband dropped 5 times in one hour this morning. I have been waiting 33 minutes so far to speak to someone. We had our broadband fixed a couple of months ago and up until recently it had improved. The time wasted on periodically trying to sort out problems is becoming ridiculous.

bobdcruz

Not sure if plusnet are looking at this at all, 9 dropouts in last 24 hours according to my Router log.  Admittedly we only notice 4 off them ! the other occured during the night.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@bobdcruz 

You can raise a fault by following the troubleshooting steps at:

https://faults.plus.net

Depending on your answers to the test steps a fault will be raised.

Regards

Richard