Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping

mmace
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Broadband keeps dropping

I've been with PN for just over a month now, however in the past few days the broadband connection keeps dropping.
We're plugged into the master socket, there's a dial tone when it happens, I've changed the micro filter but I've seen the router flashing orange, then the 'b' appears, then flashes again before connecting.
It's the same socket and wiring we've had for years (trouble free) for years.

In the past 3 days I've seen it drop at least twice each day, including 5 minutes ago.

Any suggestions?
Can PN see when it drops in any logs and maybe suggest why it's happening?

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

Hi there, I am sorry you have been having issues.

I have tested the line and looks like there is a Phone Fault being detected. I have raised this to our suppliers and our faults team will monitor this for you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

mine does this too can you check my line please?
Just disconnected now at 19.24
Excellent!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Manny7860, I've tested your line (that was the drop at 19:24 probably) and no issues have been detected.

One of the settings on the line was incorrect (SNR set too low) and this has likely been causing the instability. I have amended this so please monitor your connection and let us know if there are any further issues Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Oh thanks . When my fibre switch goes through will the snr settings change?
Excellent!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Manny7860 when your Fibre order completes, the SNR may change again however it doesn't have as much of an effect on Fibre connections, so there should be no issues Smiley

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply.. alright I see.
Excellent!
mmace
Grafter

Apologies, it never emailed to say there were any replies to my post!
I had someone do some work at the cabinet a few days ago, but it's no better, we are at home more at the moment due to holidays so we are noticing it more.
We now have Google Home which stops working and yesterday we got a Harmony Hub to control everything, but when the connection drops it gets kicked off the internet but then never reconnects so we have to reboot it each time. Not good when it's our remote control.
It went funny again this morning just before 10am if that can be checked?
We are losing out on TV channels too that we can't watch or record!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Testing your line is still finding a potential problem, so I'm re-raising that to Openreach now.

We'll be in touch via ticket 164585722 when we've got more info.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mmace
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf, BT came out again Wednesday, however it's still doing it (last time was 2 minutes ago) 😞
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi I can see an engineer has been and completed further work, the line is now testing clear.

If your still having issues make sure you have gone through our Troubleshooting here.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mmace
Grafter

Hi, been through troubleshooting, also replied to the emails but had no response (I replied straight away a few days ago).
Still having issues. It lost connection again around 1am (I saw the router lights change), just now even though the light was blue and the router interface said it was connected ok there was no internet connection, I could not browse on any device (wired or wireless) and I could not ping anything. This happens quite often, the router thinks all is ok but nothing in the house can send or receive data.
mmace
Grafter

Just dropped again, 4th time today 😞
azc
Rising Star

Can you confirm if this about an ADSL or Fibre connection ?

Its just that your comments about the router lights suggests you are using a PlusNet Hub One which is usually only issued for fibre, and this thread is on the board for ADSL. If you are on fibre it should get moved to the Fibre Broadband board.

mmace
Grafter

It's FTTC, just dropped again now