cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out.

timbobbill
Dabbler

Broadband keeps dropping out.

Since moving to PlusNet Fibre from Sky in April 2021, the Broadband connection drops out every day - sometimes more than once. In fact it has dropped as I write this.

The blue light changes to flashing orange and after a few minutes it returns to blue.

I have tried powering off the router and checked all connections, but it still persists.

Very frustrating.

Any ideas would be welcome.

25 REPLIES 25
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @timbobbill 

Thank you for reaching out and I['m sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your service.

I've run some tests on the line and a fault has been found at the Exchange. This has now been raised with our suppliers, and we're awaiting a further update, due to be provided by 28/05/2021.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
timbobbill
Dabbler

Don't know if it helps, but these are the most recent times I have logged when the Broadband dropped out.

Mon 24/5/21   19:36, 19:38

Tue 25/5/21    3 times between 19:00 and 20:00

Wed 26/5/21   13:17, 14:55, 15:16, 16:41

Obviously it may have dropped several times other than those above, but these are the only times I have been at home to monitor.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @timbobbill 

Potentially, we'll see what the engineer finds out when they've been out. We've been given an estimated response time of by 28/05/21 23:59:59 so they should be looking at this anytime before then.

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timbobbill
Dabbler

Had a message from Plusnet at 09:21 on Saturday 29th May saying the problem has been "fixed" however it has dropped out several times since.

Not sure if you are able to read the attached Plusnet.webarchive files, but the detail is in there.

I am not over impressed with the robustness of Plusnet's service. Although SKY was considerably slower, it didn't drop out so much.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @timbobbill, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear your connection issues look to be persisting. I've looked into your ongoing fault and have updated the fault ticket on your account with steps on how we can progress this issue further.
The fault ticket I've updated and that requires your attention can be seen here.

Feel free to give us a nudge on here after getting back to us on the fault ticket and we'll be happy to pick up and help progress this further for you.

timbobbill
Dabbler

Download speed has dropped to about 25mps from around 60mps.

Now there is no dial tone on the phone.  What's going on?

Had no response about upgrading old twin phone socket to a more modern one.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@timbobbill Have you acted on @BD 's post above?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @timbobbill 

I'm sorry to see you're still having issues.

As per Ben's response on the ticket, can you plug your router into the test socket as explained Here? I understand you've got a double master socket, so you'll need to remove the faceplate and use a microfilter we've supplied with the router.

We can't recommend you replace the master socket yourself however these checks we've suggested you to carry out will rule out an issue with the faceplate and internal wiring.

With regards to your phone, line tests are showing a fault at the exchange again so I've raised a fault with our suppliers now and we've been given an estimated response time of by 07/06/21 23:59:59 for an engineer to investigate further. 

If you can also update the ticket with your availability for an engineer visit this will speed things up if we need to arrange one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timbobbill
Dabbler

I have carried out tests as described and reset the router etc. Everything was working fine with SKY, it is only since moving to Plusnet that problems have arisen.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @timbobbill 

I've looked at the ticket again and there's no confirmation there you've tried the test socket nor any availability for a visit.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timbobbill
Dabbler

I am unable to connect a Microfilter to the test socket as there isn't one - see photo

I am not prepared to pay anything for an engineer to visit as you have previously found faults at the exchange relating to this problem.  The broadband with SKY worked for years without any problems. It was the cost of SKY that I changed to Plusnet which promised better connection speeds and was a Which? Recommended Provider.

There has been no change to the internal wiring in the property for over 30 years...

...and why should the phone suddenly stop working?

If it is absolutely necessary for a engineer to visit - anyday after 13:00 hrs.

20210603_142647.jpg

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

That is a TalkTalk router, connected to an extension socket - no wonder you are having problems with a Plusnet service.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Not a router John, just a Home Plug or whatever you want to call them.