cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out

and107

Broadband keeps dropping out

In the last few weeks I can be doing something like watching Iplayer and the connection just drops but then comes straight back on within 2 mins. It has also happened on work zoom calls which is embarrassing so I have to use my phone as my internet connection. Please can someone check to see if there is a problem. We have a phone line but don’t have a phone but have the micro filter into the master socket. I have tried to take it out to put in the test socket as read on here but the lead into the socket won’t come out.
5 REPLIES 5
thurrafork
Dabbler

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out

Yep. I've been having exactly the same issue.

Usually once or twice a day the connection will drop out for a couple of minutes. A good connection at all other times.

Is there a problem?

Thanks.

and107

It’s really annoying, previously was with BT using the same master socket so can only imagine it’s the Brodband as it seems to be a bandwidth problem. My Father had a similar issue and got an engineer out and no fault could be found. As not the first time this had been reported surely Plusnet should be doing more to help.
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @and107 Smiley

I've ran some tests and checked your connection and cannot find a fault with your broadband, it sounds like you're experiencing these issues via wireless.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
and107

Thank you I can try but did those changes last year when reported the same issues I was having. Do you think this will make a difference. Only me and the Wife using the Broadband so not like we are using it too much.
thurrafork
Dabbler

Hello there

Thanks for responding, tinytaco. Any chance you could test my connection too?

As I said above I too have been experiencing dopouts - increasingly so over the last couple of weeks.

In case it's relevant, with me the issue is not via wireless. I have a wired connection. And it is stable and speedy at all other times. 

Thanks