cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping out multiple times a day

trickysam
Hooked

Broadband keeps dropping out multiple times a day

This has been happening for a month or so. 

It just drops out completely and it's not there in the Network list to select on any device. However, nothing seems to change (e.g. lights) on the router.  Happens at any time of day and there's no pattern in terms of how many devices are online. I was home on my own yesterday during the day and it was out for a good 30 minutes.

How do we look into this? The kids are badgering me!

thanks

TrickySam

8 REPLIES 8
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out multiple times a day

Hi @trickysam,

I'm sorry that your connection has been dropping and for the inconvenience caused to you and your family.

I can see from your connection log that it has been dropping frequently over the past week:

However, testing your line isn't picking up the cause of this:

As the test hasn't picked up the cause, we'll need to do some troubleshooting checks to try and narrow this down. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here.

If the basic checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect the router into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the guide here for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

Please get back in touch if your connection continues to drop whilst connected to the test socket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
trickysam
Hooked

Hi there Thanks for looking into this. We have done some basic checks. The phone line is fine. We have a PlusNet Hub One router normally connected to the BT MK2 socket via ethernet cable. We have connected it to the test socket with a phone cable and waiting to see whether it stays stable. thanks TrickySam
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @trickysam 

Thanks for the update. 

Please let us know how the connection is whilst connected in this way - should you still notice drops occurring, please let us know and we can investigate further. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

trickysam
Hooked

We have had the cable connected to the test socket for a few days now and it's been fine.

Does this mean there is a problem with the socket or phone cable?

thanks

Kirsty

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @trickysam, thanks for getting back to us.

With the connection working fine in the test socket, the issue will be caused by one of the pieces of equipment you've removed.

In my experience, it's usually either the DSL cable (the one that looks like a tiny phone adaptor end), or the faceplate itself. You're able to ascertain which by reattaching the faceplate and using a different DSL cable. If the drops return, we can be almost certain that it's the faceplate at fault.

Please let us know how you get on.

trickysam
Hooked

Hi

I think it must be the face plate. It is dropping out again.

thanks

Tricky Sam

trickysam
Hooked

Sorry, meant to say, we've tried a different DSL cable.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @trickysam, if the drops have continued again when the router is in the normal socket this would highlight either a faulty face plate, a extension socket within the property could be causing the issue or internal wiring or devices plugged into the extension sockets.
We would advise looking to re-trying the set-up back in your face plate as it sounds like you have it currently but making sure that there's no other devices plugged into extension sockets. If the drops persist the the easiest and cheapest check we would recommend would be to look in purchasing a new face plate for your master socket which can be found at most electronic retailers and if the issue was still to persist we would advise you contacting a local 3rd party phone engineer to come and check your internal wiring and extension sockets in the properties for faults.
By all means although not pretty you could keep the router plugged into the test socket moving forwards as this would get around the internal wiring issue as it's the face plate which connects the extension sockets back up.
Let us know how it goes.