Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps dropping off

annew
Dabbler

Broadband keeps dropping off

Hi all

My broadband connection keeps dropping off since I moved to the faster version. It was always a bit of a problem before, but now it is major. I've been working at home this morning at it has been more off than on. When it goes off the blue line is replaced by a blinking then steady red one and a red icon appears. However the phone dial tone is still working and all devices indicate that wifi is working at full strength. Please could you check it out for me.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Broadband keeps dropping off

Sorry to hear you've had issues.

I can see the connection was dropping earlier but it appears to be stable now.

Let us know if it starts again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
annew
Dabbler

I've continued to have intermittent problems with this issue, but now I'm trying to watch something on iPlayer and it's so far dropped off twice with me having to wait for it to come back on. This is really annoying. Sometime it even drops off when the router is showing blue as well as when it's showing red with the bb icon. Could you please tell me why this is happening rather than just telling me what I know already, which is that it is happening.

Thanks

annew
Dabbler

NB the phone line is still working even when it BB drops off.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

My tests are identifying a possible fault. If you've done the checks here please can you report the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so that we can arrange an engineer to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
annew
Dabbler

Thanks will give it a try. Last night it was fine while streaming a TV programme, it's just every so often it starts to happen.

annew
Dabbler

Re: Broadband constantly dropping

Hello

I'm not sure if this is still live as I didn't have time to run the tests before. However I have continued to have problems with drop-off, most days several times. By which I mean pages stop loading and the load bar (ie that line) sticks and sometimes I get a server unavailable message. It normally only takes a couple of minutes for it to clear but sometimes longer and it's really annoying if it keeps happening within a short space of time. I have tried to gather all the info but not sure if I have it right so please let me know if not. 

1.  QUIET LINE TEST:

There is faint crackling on the line - should it be completely silent?

2.  LINE EXPECTATIONS:

Kitz line check:

Distance from exchange:

Direct:  1.2 km

By road:  2.00 km

Kitz BT checker:

Not working - box empty - tried several times on 3 browsers.

3.  LINE PERFORMANCE:

Router stats:

Not sure which you mean:

6. Data rate:

9999 / 39950

7. Maximum data rate:

10608 / 48385

8. Noise margin:

6.7 / 8.5

9. Line attenuation:

22.6 / 17.2

10. Signal attenuation:

22.0 / 17.0

11. Data sent/received:

13.9 MB / 104.3 MB

BT Wholesale speed test:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds 
is 20 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was8.45Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance. 

Current speed from Plusnet site:

Download:  36.4

Upload:  9.0

Please let me know if you require any more info.

Thanks

Anne Williams

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note:

Merged with the OP's original thread and moved to Fibre.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Anne,

One of the useful things about the forums is that topics do not die!  I asked the mods to tidy your posts up, disconnect the new one from the piggy back elsewhere, join it up to you prevision history and move it to fibre where people with better knowledge of VDSL than I have lurk, for looking at the information provided, this appears to be a FTTC service.

It being VDSL, the distance figures to the exchange do not have the relevance they do with ADSL from where you found the standard set of self help questions, none the less the stats are interesting to those who understand them.

The noisy line could be causing some issues, so in the first instance I would raise a phone line fault - noisy line / intermittent noise - use the link below.

The 8+dB SNRM is not ideal and might be down to the line noise.  I note the last comment from @Gandalf on your original topic was that he had found a line fault.  Did you follow through his request?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

annew
Dabbler

Thanks Townman. I think I picked up on the wrong fragment of thread to reply to - I had a dim recall that someone had suggested something but didn’t manage to find it. Sounds like I should raise the line fault as suggested. Thanks for finding my thread! Best wishes Anne

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests are showing a potential line fault which would require a engineer visit.

I'll get your account updated shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Welcome to the forums @annew

I've had a landline fault recently.

You are correct in what you said about the quiet line test, you should hear nothing. That is the point of it.

The fact you are hearing noise (even if not that much) would suggest a fault. My engineer did something outside and replaced the master socket. Wasn't chargable to me, although I did drop him a £10 as a thanks and said get yourself a drink on me Smiley

annew
Dabbler

Thanks Alex!