cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband keeps cutting out, unable to get hold of customer service. Been waiting for 14 days.....

glyntw

Broadband keeps cutting out, unable to get hold of customer service. Been waiting for 14 days.....

Do any plusnet staff members visit this thing?

How are you meant to contact plusnet if they dont respond to messages, and their phone line says "we're too busy, go away" cuts the phone call........

And they still want the £25 a month, even if the broadband doesn't work...

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband keeps cutting out, unable to get hold of customer service. Been waiting for 14 days...

@glyntw Welcome to the forums. Couple of questions before I make suggestions (1) Are you on ADSL or FTTC? (2) Can you give us an idea of your problems?

John
glyntw

Re: Broadband keeps cutting out, unable to get hold of customer service. Been waiting for 14 days...

76mb.

Minimum of 70mb.

Broadband line, will just randomly cut out. With orange flashing lights. 

Completely randomly.

Then it takes a while before it gets back on.

Sometimes it will go back online, then cut out again quickly.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK, so you are on FTTC. I will ask the mods to move this to the correct board as the suggestions I was going to make had you been on ADSL don't apply.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Rja48

I pay £22.99/month for 36mb broadband but for the last 3 weeks it has been a constant slow 7mb, the stuff I should only be paying £18.99/month for. After several unsuccessful attempts to get through customer services (long wait times, no chatlines available either) I resorted to filling in an online request for an engineer after having carried out all the usual checks but because I don't have or use a landline phone thus unable verify if the line is noisy, the engineer won't cooperate & this is a copy of their reply:

During the investigation of your reported fault we asked you to complete some steps to help us diagnose the problem. You have reported that you are unable to do so.

As such, we're unable to continue the investigation so have had to close the query.

This also means you will not have the right to leave your contract without paying any cancellation fees at the end of the 30 day period from the date you raised the fault, or the date we have set out in previous emails.

If you are still concerned about your speeds, please use our online speed tester at: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (more info) and we have some advice on the things which can affect broadband speeds on our help pages.  Kind regards,
Plusnet Customer Support
www.plus.net

So I am back to square 1 & stuck in a contract till October, this is really unfair and I'm not best pleased, I feel I should report this to Ofcom but even if I did I doubt it would not be resolved by October when I am free to go elsewhere so what should I do?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Rja48  Your broadband is carried over your phone line, if there are issues on your line you will not get the best broadband.

A phone is the best tool to determine if you line is noisy or faulty, and can be picked up for less than £10 from Argos/your local supermarket.

An ISP is charged £150 from openreach for an engineer call out, £65 passed to you if no fault found, or fault on your equipment, so perhaps now you can see why they want you to do this simple check!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @glyntw,

I can see that you have been in touch over Twitter and my colleague has progressed your fault.

Hello @Rja48,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection. I have checked your connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see more drops in connection than we would like. Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, faceplates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
glyntw

Probably not the internal wiring, because when I first got the package 2 or 3 months ago, it was 70+mb, all the time.

Only the past week has there been a problem.

If it was the wiring, then the connection would have been poor from the start.

I've not just got a speed of 

12.38 on speedtest.
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That assumes that your internal wiring has not suffered a fault since then, and is now causing issues.

By connecting into the "test connector" under the faceplate, it removes any extension phone wiring connected via the faceplate, thus 100% eliminating such issues!

What line speed is reported by your router (log in to router, then advanced settings / broadband / connection)... this is the speed between you and the "exchange" (actually to the FTTC cabinet!). This is very different to what a "speedtest" will show you.