Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband getting slower and slower

steedie1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband getting slower and slower

Hi, 

My broadband speed was a guaranteed 29mbs and up until about a week ago I have reaching speeds of 30 - 32 and all was well.

For some reason , and nothing has changed home side my broadband speed has dropped to well below this to around 11 - 13 mbs.

I have switched off my router and restarted it, but nothing has changed. A few months ago someone from Plusnet community kindly upgraded my hub remotely and all was well.

When you have a moment could someone please check my speed and connections to see if my speed can be improved .

Thank You 

18 REPLIES 18
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Broadband getting slower and slower

I'm sure Pnet staff will help you eventually but their first question will be have you followed the steps at https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/td-p/1270253  ?

You need to check systematically, as the guide says, wifi is a common source of faults, start by connecting direct to the test socket behind the cover of your master socket. Help is available for the asking but you need to do the basics first.

steedie1
Rising Star

Thank you for your reply.

My current laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection so I have reverted to my old one.

I have connected my old computer via ethernet cable direct to hub and speed test shows 22 mb.

I then connected to main test socket  and again used ethernet cable and it was again 22mb.

steedie1
Rising Star

Also I don't know if it is relevant but when doing the speed  tests, rather than the dial going straight up to the desired MB it fluctuates and can move up and down, also the same happens with upload speed which varies from 2 - 5 mbps.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @steedie1

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing what's known as a bridge tap, which is generally a wiring issue, so I'd like to arrange a Qube engineer (working on behalf of BT) to investigate further. 

Could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available for a visit?

If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steedie1
Rising Star

Thank you for your help in this issue.

I have now answered the help section .

i will attach my last speed test but don't see point of submitting any more until line/ wire fault is checked.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @steedie1

No problem, I've booked the engineer visit and updated the ticket 221801361 with the appointment details.

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steedie1
Rising Star

OK, Thank you for your help, hopefully it will be resolved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fingers crossed! Let me know what the engineer says. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steedie1
Rising Star

Gandalf and Anoush,

As requested, to let you know the result of the engineer visit.

He came today and did his various tests, the upshot is that the fault lies outside the house so now needs to be investigated by BT Engineer.

He has said he has left detailed instructions of what he has done and what now needs to be done on his report which he has submitted.

He says that I shouldn't need to do anything as you will now sort it out with BT. He was only getting about 22mb when he tested the line which remained constant and he could see that we were previously getting around 30 +. He also mentioned something about 6 decibels which was fluctuating ? 

I assume that you will have access to his findings and perhaps you would be good enough to let me know once BT have been contacted.

Thank you 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just had a look into this for you and the Qube engineer's notes indicate that they detected an "external bridge tap" that's something we would need to book an Openreach engineer out for. I've added an update to the fault ticket on your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221801361

Please take a look when you can and drop a reply back here when you've responded and I'll get it booked in for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
steedie1
Rising Star

Thanks Adam, I have updated the fault ticket with some dates, thank you 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can see we've booked the engineer and updated the ticket 221801361 with the appointment details.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
steedie1
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf,

The BT engineer came today.

I explained that a Plusnet engineer had been and checked the connections and master socket and had determined that the fault was external.

He did some checks, I don't know what and then changed our telephone and hub socket from an extension socket to the main master socket. He said that he had cancelled previous faults and case history and said he was now getting 38mb from the box.

He said that the system would settle down and I would probably get slightly lower than 38mb.

I have done some speed tests and whilst some of the tests are over 30mb there are some below, so unsure if it has fixed it or not. He did say I needed to wait a few days for the system to settle down. He also said that test would vary depending where my laptop was, which is about 6 foot from the hub.

I did a test whilst he was here and it was about 23mb, but he showed me his phone and it was recording over 35.

As can be seen from my speed  tests they do vary. - Should they ?

Could someone do a diagnostic check now to see if fault cleared please.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @steedie1

Cheers for the update. 

Looking at the engineer notes, I can see they've advised they've fitted a new master socket to isolate (ancient) star-wiring. 

Testing your line again, I can indeed see your speed's gone up to 38mbps with no issues found now. 

It looks like you've spoken with one of my colleagues in our faults team last night, who updated a profile our side.

How has your speed been since then? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet