cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops out and orange light

mjakes4178
Hooked

Broadband drops out and orange light

I have been getting a lot of random drops today is there something up with the network?

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Broadband drops out and orange light

Hi there.

Line tests aren't showing the cause for the drops you're experiencing but we can see a couple and your speeds are lower than expected.

Can you try the steps Here letting us know how you get on?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pjb77
Dabbler

same issue here, and we are on the test socket. When I rang Plusnet they fobbed us off by saying there was a fault at the house, however seems this problem is happening to lots of people, Facebook is full of complaints of the same issue. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@pjb77 I'll respond to your thread shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TMyers

Hi.  I've been reading through post relating to drop outs and then the orange light.  Some of these have got pretty technical and I'm guessing different people will be having different reasons for this issue.  I suspect the Router One!

I swapped to Plusnet last September from BT.  I rarely had line drops with BT over many years.  Since swapping to Plusnet this issue has occurred twice, so roughly every 4/5 months.  I ring up to check if there is a Plusnet problem and get told no.  My internet tests OK.  Then I have to go through the master socket rigmarole....

This is what I think happens.

The Router One looses the Plusnet username and resets to setup@plusdsl.net. Everything looks OK until you try to access the Internet.  Sometimes a restart clears the problem, but once you have the problem, it will return!  For me the only solution is the pin reset, then set everything up again.  I never had this problem with the BTHub5 because it doesn't need the username.  So I conclude its something to do with the Hub One firmware and Plusnets need for a username.

So the Solution is the pin reset when the connection dropping starts!

T

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@TMyers

Welcome to the forums.

if you still have the BT HH5, you are free to use it on Plusnet. Instructions on how to set it up at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#...

No need to suffer using the Hub One if it is causing issues.

The Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT HH5 Type A in any case.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
TMyers

My guess would be that the BTHub5 and the Hub One are so closely related, that when you start using it with a username it will fail in exactly the same way as the Hub One.  This problem didn't happen with the BTHub5 as the individual username as such, wasn't really needed.

But many thanks for the conversion info.

T

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @TMyers

Welcome to the forums.

I am just wondering if your Hub One may be faulty - yours is the first post I've read on this (thanks for the info, very useful) and if it were a defect in the model range I would have expected to see many more posts from others about this.

I use a Hub One and have not seen this problem - I would be getting phone calls and complaints if I did!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi TMyers, 

That solution might not be the right one for everyone that's experiencing connection drops but thanks for your feedback on that. I'd not expect what your seeing to be a normal experience of using a Hub One so we can always look at replacing your router if that keeps happening to you. 

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TMyers

Sorry, but the forum is full of posts about the Hub One dropping connections.  I read some of them before posting.  Some involve very detailed analysis.  One suggesting that it was large uploads that where causing the problem.(?)  I use Google photos and these sync when I'm at home or on 4G, whichever..  All I can comment on is my experience, which is basically after a few months the Hub One needs a full reset otherwise you get regular drop-outs.

Why?  I'm not sure, but I don't seem to be the only person with this problem.  Is the Hub updating to cause this?  I'm pretty sure a Hub that works fine for 4months is mainly OK.  Again, I blame the firmware.

T

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @TMyers,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I can confirm that we did previously have a widespread issue whereby large uploads were causing connection drops, however this issue should now be fully resolved.

I've re-added the router details on your account to make sure that you're on the latest firmware version. Please can you factory reset your router at your earliest convenience (please be aware that this will affect any customer changes you have made - e.g. WiFi passwords, SSID changes, port forwarding rules, etc.) Once this happens, TR069 will kick in and reconnect your router (this may take up to ten minutes) and your firmware should update itself to the latest version within the next 24-72 hours. Please let us know if this issue persists after this.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @EmilyD

It sounds like it is an issue with the firmware, so an update should fix it.

I don't have access to my PlusNet account right now. It would be good if there was something on the forums or a service status page which would list the latest firmware and what it has fixed. Not the generic iPhone one of "Improvements and Bug Fixes" which tell you the square root of nothing.

Also something which tells people how to do it yourself to save staff from doing it.

Let us know how you get on.

mjakes4178
Hooked

I know its been a while but was waiting till I could move router off the window and put in a high quality cat6 RJ11 lead.

Had a couple of dropouts today I checked via the test socket and no different the line was checked via engineer on installation due to exchange card fault I notice on the order system says" If you choose our Unlimited Fibre Broadband, you could get an estimated download speed of 35 - 40Mb " I get about 25 meg is there a fault at exchange wouldn't think it would be drop wire as line is quite and socket is attached straight to it.

Details from modem

6. Data rate: 8360 / 28517
7. Maximum data rate: 9104 / 37254
8. Noise margin: 6.7 / 10.5
9. Line attenuation: 31.9 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation: 31.6 / 17.4
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @mjakes4178

I have tested your line, and I am seeing the same as you are. If you are experiencing these speeds while connected to the test socket, please can you raise a fault here and let us know when you have done so.

mjakes4178
Hooked

Can you run a GEA Test ?

I have also noticed that under data_transfer_speed  part of your website it shows all my old details

Phone exchange:COSTESSEY