Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops in the rain.

barnettsab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband drops in the rain.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with a ‘battery connection’ on my line. So, when it rained hard, the broadband connection dropped. BT supposedly fixed it.

Guess what... first proper driving rain since then and my broadband is dropping again. Flashing red status light, the the red B, then the rain eases off then the broadband comes back. It’s happened twice (that I know of) in the heaviest of the rain.

Any suggestions as to what I can do about this? Maybe get a permanent fix?

Thanks

Steve

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Broadband drops in the rain.

Sorry to see that this has become an issue again. Having looked over the notes from the previous fault report I can see a problem with an underground cable joint was identified and fixed. 

No such issue is being picked up on a fresh set of line tests that I've just been running so I would hazard a guess that water ingress is happening on a different part of the line. 

We picked up on noise on the line last time so I'm just wondering if that's something you've noticed? (assuming that you have a handset you can try)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
barnettsab
Dabbler

I’ve not noticed any noise on the line, but I rarely use the landline so can only judge by the dial tone (which is strong and clear).

it only happens when it’s driving rain, which was the problem last time too. 

I guess I can wait for it to happen again and check the handset when it fails.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That would be a good idea if you can please. 

Having had a look at the BBC forecast for your area I don't think you'll have to wait long unfortunately!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
barnettsab
Dabbler

Yep, picked the right week to be on holiday (and to be trying to develop a web site).

barnettsab
Dabbler

20:01, heavy rain starts, broadband drops, phone line perfectly clear. About four minutes later the rain has reduced and the broadband is back.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@barnettsab 

Do your neighbors experience the same issue?

Do you happen to know how your exchange communicates with the rest of the country, for example

mine uses a microwave link (look for a round drum on a mast at the exchange)

If it happens again try calling your land line with a mobile while the internet is down to see if it is affected.

barnettsab
Dabbler

Seems isolated to me. I live in a built up area of Birmingham, so it’s likely to be old copper cables. I know the phone line from pole to house has been there over 40 years. I get a clear dial tone when the broadband is down and would have expected some crackling if it had been affected.

Push comes to shove, we also have a Virgin cable connection into the house, so I can switch to them for broadband (I only have the phone line so I can have broadband).

I was just hoping that PlusNet could fix it, because I would rather stay with them.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@barnettsab 

Ok, the reason I asked is that microwave based communication can be affected by rain, snow and heat.

I used to use satellite internet (no phone-line) and heavy rain or snow caused disruption.

I would have expected noise on the line if it was a wet connection, which wouldn't go away quickly.

At least you have a Plan B!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Steve.

Our tests aren't showing any issues with your service apart from the drop you've had Saturday evening:

image15649938793415

It's probably worth keeping an eye on things and if things drop more frequently(presumably when it rains more often) I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as we may need to arrange an engineer to investigate further.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet