cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drops every other day

James1o1o
Grafter

Broadband drops every other day

Hello, I recently just upgraded from standard ADSL broadband with Plusnet, to Fibre Broadband. Every since, we have been getting disconnections every other day, generally in the evening around 6-9 o'clock, though I check router uptime and sometimes it drops overnight also.

It's starting to become rather annoying, as we never had this issue until we upgraded to Fibre. There are no external factors or timers that could be causing this to my knowledge, and there is no noise on the phone line at all. Could it be the router causing it? Is this a known issue with the Plusnet Hub One?

Could someone at Plusnet advise me on what to do, on what could be causing it and maybe run one of those GEA tests and post the results also?

Thanks!

James

EDIT: The drop at around 12:35am was me plugging the router into the Test Socket. The data rate on the downstream is slightly lower on the test socket than it was on the master socket, and the noise margin is also a bit lower on the test socket compared to master. I also ran a quiet line test after this, and noticed the broadband had dropped during the call.

I went to investigate and I found that just slightly touching the microfilter caused crackling on the phone line. By tugging slightly on the connector on the test socket, it would create crackling on the phone line, is this normal?

Also, how quiet should the quiet line test be? Should it be 100% silent? I can hear a faint noise but nothing too noticable.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

17 REPLIES 17
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband drops every other day

Hi @James1o1o

Thanks for getting in touch.

Please see an image of your connection below over the last seven days.

As you can see, there are a few drops in connection during the times that you've listed, however, there are no external faults on your line. I can see that you've raised a fault today which will get picked up over the next few days - could you keep your router connected to the test socket in the interim so that we can monitor the connection and include the results in your fault prognosis?

Best Wishes,

Dave

James1o1o
Grafter

When it's in the test socket, the speed and noise margin are quite a bit lower than when connected to master socket. That isn't right is it? 

The entire socket seems quite sensitive to touch, if I put a bit of pressure on the faceplate or gently tug on the connector to the socket, the internet goes down. Is that normal?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @James1o1o

My honest answer is 'probably not'.

If the phone socket is behaving in that way, it is likely to be the cause of the issue.

Let's see how the connection performs in the test socket before we progress to an engineer appointment - I don't want you to potentially be charged if the issue relates to the faceplate within your premises.

Best Wishes,

Dave

James1o1o
Grafter

Sorry for the long wait before reply, I've got it connected to the test socket now. Will report back in a few days.

James1o1o
Grafter

Sorry for the double post, but I just noticed something, not sure if this is normal. When I pickup my phone, to hear the dialing tone, my noise margin drops, quite sharply, and stays at a lower rate until I place the phone back on receiver.

Is that normal?

1.png

2..png3.png

1st and 3rd pictures are with phone disconnected, 2nd picture is with the phone activated to hear the dialing tone. All happens under a minute, I'm not sure if this is related to my broadband problems?

James1o1o
Grafter

Okay so it's just dropped there again, this is in the test socket now.

EDIT: And it dropped again around 7.30am, this time the phone was completely disconnected from the wall, so that can eliminate the phone being the issue?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It looks like your connection has stabilised over the weekend. How are things now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
James1o1o
Grafter

It drops at least once every day or so, it's really annoying. Did it again this afternoon.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Unless the connection stays offline a while we can't really do anything about a single drop as that can be quite normal for any broadband connection. On the other hand we could investigate further if it started to drop more frequently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi there James, not to hijack the thread but I can sympathise.

I have had a similar problem for the last couple of months, but to be fair to Plusnet, they have tried a lot to resolve it.

After all the tests, an engineer came and changed the NT5, I had a new modem from Plusnet and then engineers changed our line to the post and put us on another underground line to the cabinet.

My problem is not as severe as it was but, I am still seeing drops, mainly at night, when it doesn't matter, but also some in the evening when watching Iplayer. I am beginning to wonder if there are random noises on the line causing the short dropouts.

Also wondering if any modems are more robust at dealing with this issue.

I have an open question on this and am updating it with the dropout times.

James1o1o
Grafter

Yea the thought of the router causing it did occur to me. Before we had fibre installed, we used the old Plusnet Hub Zero router, and that thing used to go for 2/3 weeks uptime without a single DC.

I know the switch to fibre means different frequencies used and the cabinet could also play a part. It's sort of hard to narrow down as well without having another VDSL router handy. I don't think the Hub Zero supports fibre does it? I could always use that in bridged mode so that it acts just as a modem.

egeoffreydavies
Grafter

Hi. My ADSL went for best part of a 12 month without any drops.

That was on a Billion modem but I don't know if a different modem would help now.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The Hub 0 will not work on a VDSL line. Pointless putting it in bridged mode, as it does not have a VDSL modem.

James1o1o
Grafter

Cheers for clarifying. I didn't think it did.