cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out, new router?

Bucketinabag
Grafter

Broadband dropping out, new router?

I've been with Plusnet for years, recently renewed my contract but have never had an upgraded router. My broadband keeps dropping out and I was wondering how to get a newer router sent out as I can't find any way to request on their site. Any help would be great!
14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Broadband dropping out, new router?

Welcome to the forums, @Bucketinabag . How long have you had the current modem/router, what model is it? Exactly when did you renew your contract? I think you can request  new kit at the time of re-contracting, and I have noticed that requests such as yours are quite often acted on if and when a member of the PN Help Team spot them.

As regards the 'dropping out, if you respond to the below, maybe other Community members can help, possibly quicker than the PN staff.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
Bucketinabag
Grafter

Thank you for all this information! I'll definitely try. The problem I'm having is everything tests as fine until it isn't. It usually drops out for a few minutes, I reset everything and it kicks back in with no issues, that's why I saw assuming it was router related? Hopefully PN Help will see this and I can get a new router sent out? I'll definitely try your suggestions too!
jab1
Legend

Let us know the results, please. It could be a number of things, but without sight of what I have requested, Community members have no way of telling.

John
Bucketinabag
Grafter

I've added images of results to my gallery but can't seem to post them here. I can't do the wired test ATM. Thank you!
jab1
Legend

Are you using a desktop/laptop, or a mobile phone?

John
Bucketinabag
Grafter

I'm on an android phone
jab1
Legend

Ah, OK. Do you not have a laptop/desktop?

If not, there should be a row of three horizontal dots at the top of the screen, tap that, and from the resulting drop-down, select 'request desktop site', click that and you should then get the option to add images - the 'mountain' icon between the 'smilies' and 'camera' one.

John
Bucketinabag
Grafter

Screenshot_20211226-112454.pngScreenshot_20211226-112430.png

Thanks again! You're a hero. No access at the moment to a PC no. Sorry

jab1
Legend

No access to a PC is unfortunate - the resulting lack of width makes the data hard to read, but I'll do my best. From the ADSL checker in the above post, it appears that you closish to the VDSL cab, but strangely you are not offered the 80/20 product - don't quite understand that. 

The other details I requested may throw some light on this, so I shall await them before commenting further.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Bucketinabag 

When you say that you are seeing drop outs are the lights changing on your hub?

If not this is probably a wireless problem. Try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Try each band in turn.

If you want a new hub 2 when you renew a contract you can’t do it on line. Ring 0800 013 2632 and ask for one. If you have renewed in the last few weeks try ringing when they are open and ask. If you don’t ask you won’t get!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bucketinabag
Grafter

Light goes red for "internet" every time it drops. Its not a wireless issue and I can always still see and connect to the network.

Thank you!
jab1
Legend

@Bucketinabag In that case, sorry, but this appears to be a BTW network issue. I would suggest raising a fault at: faults.plus.net

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Bucketinabag 

Then there are two things to check:

1. The quiet line check as suggested by @jab1  If the line is noisy then report a telephone fault.

2.  If that’s OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Bucketinabag, I am really sorry for the issues that you are having with the service.

Checking the connection, I can see there has been a few drops this week, though nothing too bad:

Testing the line isn't detecting any problems and so I have ordered you a newer router (Hub One) just to see if this helps the drops that have started occurring.

This should be with you over the next 3-5 working days and once connected, should the issue continue then please do get back to us so we can retest and take it from there for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team