cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping multiple times per day following contract renewal

penda1a

Broadband dropping multiple times per day following contract renewal

I recently renewed my contract, and a day later my broadband started dropping, sometimes once or twice a day, more recently it's been multiple times per hour (not great on video calls!). Openreach have come out 4 times now and have replaced all old connections and say the line is perfect. I've just tried a new router and internal wires to see if that's the issue, but no joy.

I suspect the issues has to do with the contract renewal, but no idea what to do about it. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Broadband dropping multiple times per day following contract renewal

@penda1a  Welcome to the forum.

@penda1a wrote:
I suspect the issues has to do with the contract renewal, but no idea what to do about it. Any ideas?

It is surprising how many times this crops up. If you think about it, a contract generally lasts for 18 months. Faults can occur at any time. Therefore 1 in 18 of all faults will be reported in the month following contract renewal. 

The first question that needs resolving is whether indeed your connection up to the BT Master socket is 'perfect'. When the broadband drops are the lights on your router changing?

Are you using wireless or connecting via an Ethernet cable? If wireless does an Ethernet cabled computer also drop its connection?

Answers to these questions will help indicate whether you have a network or wireless problem, the latter lies outside of the remit of Openreach.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penda1a

The router flashes orange, often goes solid red with the 'b' sign showing. It normally comes back on within a few minutes.

Openreach changed the connection of the phone line to the house which apparently was pretty worn, replaced the master socket to get rid of the micro filter and upgraded the junction box (I think that's what they said) down the road. They also checked all the wiring outside the house and couldn't see any obvious issues. Yesterday I set up a new router, which still dropped out, then today changed the ADSL(?) cable to the router, again still dropped out.

All internet goes down, WiFi and ethernet.

I know it could just be coincidence that it's happened just after renewal, but I can't think of where else the issue might be! Searches on this forum have said things about authentication modules not being applied correctly and the like, so figured that might be worth checking?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@penda1a 

Clearly you still have problems that only Plusnet can get sorted for you. Hopefully a staffer will come along and pick this up for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting in touch @penda1a and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with the connection. Having had a look over the case tonight, we'd need to look at arranging an engineer visit to investigate the case further. Please can you update this support ticket on your account to let us know when you'd be available for a visit? Just let us know in this thread when you've had a chance to add your response onto the ticket and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
penda1a

I've added a response to the ticket, was just hoping there might be some other ideas!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @penda1a, I have added a further response on the ticket for you here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=217436649

I am sorry for the continued inconvenience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team