cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband drop outs

KiwiPaul
Dabbler

Broadband drop outs

I have had a new fibre connection for just over 3 weeks but get periodic dropouts. It reconnects immediately and is usually stable for hours before dropping again.

I have the Plusnet one hub with firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 reading other posts with the same issue it seems a firmware upgrade was pushed out with varying success.

Can this be done for me, how do I request it?

Thanks,

Paul

11 REPLIES 11
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Broadband drop outs

Hi @KiwiPaul,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing problems with your connection and for any inconvenience that this has caused.

I've updated the router details on your account. Please can you factory reset your router by pushing something into the reset pinhole on the back for at least 15 seconds? Your router should then update itself to firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 over the next few days. Please let us know if the firmware version doesn't change or if this issue persists once you're on the latest firmware

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
KiwiPaul
Dabbler

Hi Emily,

The service I'm having problems with is at my fiancee's house, I sent this message from her place logged in on the forum as me, the service at my place is fine.

I have reset the router at her place and it is back up and working with her login details on the router.

I'm worried you have updated the router details thinking the router I sent this message from is mine and now the account details are muddled up.

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Paul

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @KiwiPaul,

Sorry about this! I re-added the router details to your account to ensure that the latest firmware versions are pushed out once they're available. As your service has been working fine on your own connection, it sounds like you're already on the latest firmware version and you shouldn't see any change to your own connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
KiwiPaul
Dabbler

Thanks Emily,

So the router I'm connected to now at my fiancee's place which has the dropout issue, will that be getting the firmware upgrade?

Thanks,

Paul

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @KiwiPaul,

I have updated the automated system for that router so that when the firmware update is available, it will be rolled out. Please factory reset the router by holding a pin the reset hole until the front light goes green then release it, this will ensure it is linked to the automated system.

I have attached a graph of the connection drops below.

In the meantime, could you carry out our troubleshooting steps and if the issue persists raised a fault. Once complete, let us know so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
KiwiPaul
Dabbler

Thanks Jubby,

I have done all the checks in the trouble shooting steps and everything seems ok so I'll wait for the firmware upgrade, any idea how long it will take this time of year?

Thanks,

Paul

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @KiwiPaul, I wouldn't expect any firmware updates rolling out until some point early next year at this point, however I would also recommend reporting the issue over at https://faults.plus.net as per the response from @Jubby as I'm not confident the drops you're seeing are going to be resolved fully by a change in firmware.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
KiwiPaul
Dabbler

Thanks for the support, I removed the front plate off the BT master socket and connected the ADSL filter to the internal socket and connected the phone and router to it. My connection has been ok now for nearly 2 days so it looks like the house phone wiring is putting spikes on the line periodically causing the disconnection (as removing the front plate disconnects the house phone wiring).

So hopefully problem solved for the moment but I'll give it a few more days to be sure.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks for the update from your side of things @KiwiPaul, hopefully you've got to the bottom of it now, but as you've said, do let us know if the problems return in the next few days of monitoring. Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
KiwiPaul
Dabbler

An update.

The latest firmware was pushed out and the Router upgraded but I continued to get the random dropouts.

Today an OpenReach Eng came around and investigated the issue.

The main thing he found was the noise margin had been set by PlusNet to only 3dB and this was too low for reliable operation, they prefer to have the margin set to 6dB so he reconfigured the DSLAM to 6dB. The line rate has dropped from 28 - 31 Mbs to 24.8 Mbs but hopefully will give a reliable connection.

For some reason the original PlusNet Router was reluctant to connect after this and since I had a spare he swapped it out and it eventually connected (but has a much older firmware version, but as long as it connects reliably now then I'm not bothered) so now it's a waiting game to see if the connection is more reliable. Fingers crossed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @KiwiPaul,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the connection drops have been causing you and I'm glad to hear that it sounds like the engineer has been able to determine the cause of this. Please keep an eye on your connection over the next few days and let us know if you continue to experience any problems.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team