cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down and router dead

mjmcmanus

Broadband down and router dead

Hi guys, just joined plusnet. Only with Plusnet for 7 days. Tonight my broadband went down, so reset and turned off and on the router. Router won't come back on! Great! So after only 7 days nothing is working. No online support or help. Lost 4 hours of work due to be delivered tomorrow morning. Not happy at all. Should have stayed with sky!
11 REPLIES 11
Azure_Flare164

Re: Broadband down and router dead

I’m in the same boat here, tried resetting the router, switching wireless channels, changing filters, moved hub around and still nothing.

The 14 day period to cancel has also just lapsed so I’m not really sure what to do.

Previous Broadband Provider was completely fine so I don’t understand what has happened here.

Held Plusnet in such high regards after seeing adverts and reading reviews online but I’m very disappointed in this service.

When it works it’s great but I’m not putting up with constantly dropping internet when I rely on the internet.

It’s ultimately resulted in me just turning the hub off for the rest of the night and typing this on what limited phone data I have.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If you have your old routers, and they're not locked to specific provider, try adjusting to PN's configuration.
(PN's routers locked to themselves & BT broadband).
mjmcmanus

Hi, thanks for your post.  I do have an old router, but cannot get into it?  I don't have any broadband and so am tethering from my phones network.  I'm going to call Plusnet shortly and cancel my contract as I'm within my 14 day period.

I don't trust this SP now, especially as I'm working from home!

moansalot
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

be careful the 14 days start from the day you signed up - not from your go live day - good luck

Azure_Flare164

I only have an old BT hub 6 but I’d rather just keep the Plusnet one if it’s not faulty, I’ve left it switched off for the majority of the night so hopefully that’s fixed it. I’ll update here if it’s still not working
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Azure_Flare164  I would use the BT Hub 6, it is a lot better than the Plusnet Hub 1 which has ongoing wi-fi problems and other firmware bugs that have not been fixed after a year or more. I never use ISP supplied routers myself but the BT HH6 is used successfully by a lot of Plusnet customers. Have a look in the Router forum for more details such as setting one up on Plusnet.

Azure_Flare164

My hub has now been turned on, I get a green light, blue then a brighter blue before a solid orange with the broadband light. I’m running out of data on my phone to keep replying to this thread so I might just leave it and hope that it rectifys itself.

I have issues talking over the phone so I may need to get a friend to phone Plusnet up for me
mjmcmanus

Thanks for your support here!  Really appreciate this.  I have contacted support who are sending me a new router. 

I hope you get your issues sorted as well!

Not a great start!  Just hope there are no more issues!!

Thanks everyone for commenting.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@mjmcmanus I'm sorry to see your router we've sent doesn't work. Just to confirm the obvious, is the power lead plugged into the power hole at the back of the router, plugged into your power socket that's switched on and definitely works, and is the power button depressed in which should indicate the router is actually on?

If you've tried all that it'd appear to have developed a manufacturing fault. We'll get a replacement to you as soon as we can.

@Azure_Flare164 I'm sorry for the connection issues you're having. From what I can see your broadband's back up and running now after you've switched it back on. Line tests are showing a bridge tap which is a wiring issue which may be the cause for the problems. Can you try plugging your router into the test socket as explained Here and if you're still having issues, I'd recommend raising a fault at faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Azure_Flare164

I’m back again to say that the hub is now fine (thankfully) however the internet is now dropping out late in the evening. I understand it may be a “peak” time for people being on the internet but I’m the only one on Plusnet in my whole street.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Azure_Flare164  have you bothered to read the previous post?