Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down after lightning

Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Broadband down after lightning

Hi all

Around 22:00 there was a rather nasty thunder and lightning storm over the Galashiels area. Lightning struck near me and my broadband isn’t connecting now. All of my other electrics seem fine and my Plusner Hub One router has the orange status with the orange blinking light. Could the TD1 area in the Scottish Borders be checked or can anyone offer direction on any area I could alert to perhaps get some telephone pole (or something that was potentially damaged by the lightning) fixed?
34 REPLIES 34
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Broadband down after lightning

Hi there.

This doesn't sound good. Line tests are very recently showing your circuit affected by a major service outage in your area so it looks like the Openreach network has been damaged by the lightning. Our suppliers are aware and investigating, expecting to restore services by tonight. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf

I was using the website this morning help and a very helpful colleague of yours informed me that it may also be the router as well. So a new one is on the way, according to him.

If it is the area, the router or both, is there a website you could reccomend to see the active status of the situation, or if I could keep asking here?

Since I commute I was thinking of trying to find a cheap third party router to as a short term solution until the new one arrvies and the continued update would be good.

I would assume the router will be deliverd by Shadowfax?...though Nazgul would be faster Cheesy

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was using the website this morning help and a very helpful colleague of yours informed me that it may also be the router as well. So a new one is on the way, according to him.

Ah fair. Hopefully this is resolved soon one way or another.

If it is the area, the router or both, is there a website you could reccomend to see the active status of the situation, or if I could keep asking here?

We post service updates Here but we only post if there are a relatively large amount of Plusnet customers affected. But feel free to keep posting back here to nudge us and we'll be happy to check for updates for you.

I would assume the router will be deliverd by Shadowfax? 

Of course. Run Shadowfax and show us the meaning of haste! Has the router arrived yet? Cheesy

...though Nazgul would be faster

Nazguls (Auto-correct says Seagull Crazy2) are too easily distracted by the Ring. Grin

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Hi again. Just home and the problem persists. Would it be possible for an update from the supplier for fixing it. Cheers!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey. Line tests are no longer showing an outage now, but we're seeing your router still isn't in sync to the phone line.

I'd recommend running through the steps Here then raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here too if you still have problems so we can arrange an engineer to further investigate.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Yeah it’s looking and more likely to be the line. Tried another router to no avail. Also tried the master line. Getting a bit late not to try and fix it but plan to give it a once over tomorrow before opting for someone to fix it.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is you phone line working?

Leedechan2331
Dabbler

I have never used a phone for this and don’t have a landline handset unfortunately so I can’t really tell
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

They only cost about £5 and are invaluable for testing your line. Your broadband won't work if your phone line is dead, and you will only waste time if you get a broadband engineer out.

Can you borrow one?

Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Sure I’ll have a look in the morning and get back to you ASAP once one has been bought.
Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Morning all. I bought a landline phone and it appears to be functional. I have called my landline from my mobile with success!

So the fibre issue now remains...
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for trying that @Leedechan2331, always a good test.

Sounds like you've done all you could so I would raise a Broadband fault now.

EDIT: Just thought of something else: Have you only tried it rings? What about call quality? If you haven't already done so it is worth checking noise/interference on the line to rule that out. You can make a test call to someone or use 17070 option 2 quiet line test to do that.

I would try that too (if you've not done so already) and be confident your landline is fine and it is a BB fault.

Leedechan2331
Dabbler

Hi. Yeah I called the quietline test and the line seems fine enough. No static or anything like that. I called and answered from my mobile and the line seems fine. I got a static ip address last week and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with that?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I doubt it, but I am not saying it isn't possible.

Sounds like you've done all you can. I think you need to raise a BB fault with PlusNet, and mention what you've done to them. I am sure a link to your thread here will be more than enough information.