Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnects when making a call

Lard365
Hooked

Broadband disconnects when making a call

Hi

I have Fibre broadband with my router connected directly to the master socket. The router will disconnect and the go though reconnecting itself on a daily basis. Also the broadband speed will slowly decline to under 5 Mbs and only gets back to its top speed if I manually reset it. However today I found out that if I make a call from the home phone that is connected to the same filter as the router, the router disconnects as soon as the person I am ringing answers. It then goes through the process of reconnecting itself. I can’t find any guidance in the Community or website of what to check to resolve this problem.

I have had problems previously when my router would disconnect randomly before resetting itself. The Openreach engineer did a great job of checking all the wiring and cleaning up all the connectors. It worked great after that but the problem seems to have returned with the added issue of disconnection on call answer. Any help much appreciated as it is driving my ADHD son bonkers as he keeps getting disconnected from his XBOX.
2 REPLIES 2
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband disconnects when making a call

Unfortunately sounds like you have a physical line fault - could be at the exchange (E-side), a faulty line card perhaps, or it's a wiring fault on the network / bad joint / water ingress causing a short. You'll need an Openreach engineer visit and they'll probably test the whole thing provided the callout is set up as a voice fault.

If you have any internal wiring or aftermarket sockets (except wiring fitted by BT engineers), they'll use that as a standard get-out for fixing the actual fault and possibly try to charge you, so disconnect / hide it all.

You have filters or filtered faceplates on all sockets in the property?

Run a BT wholesale speedtest now and do the extended / advanced test to see your ADSL profile information. This also logs your speed test results on the Openreach systems (which Plusnet can see); do it when your speeds drop to a crawl. If your logged speed test results are below the "Impacted" speed range for your line, you'll be automatically entitled to an investigation by Plusnet and probably some remedial work by Openreach.

Screenshot all the info and BT Wholesale speedchecker results! When Openreach worked on my line (to fix a voice fault) they did something which reprofiled my line. Whatever they did changed the 'clean' and 'impacted' maximum rates from the maximum possible (~80 Mbit) to ~50 Mbit! I ended up only being about to get about 45 Mbit maximum after that which was so annoying. Plusnet then did a little more work which increased it to about 55, but it was a massive loss of speed for no reason.

I never had problems hitting full speed before so as you can imagine, a halving of speed for no good reason was infuriating. It also meant I couldn't argue about not getting the maximum technically possible speeds as 'computer said no'.

Screenshot every test result and make a note of times of test, conditions etc.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Broadband disconnects when making a call

Hi there.

Sorry to see you're experiencing connection issues when you make a call.

I agree in that this does sound to be a line fault somewhere, as our tests aren't showing the cause for the problem we'd potentially need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. 

Can you first try connecting a corded phone handset into the test socket with the router as explained Here? This should rule out any internal wiring causing the issue.  It may also be worth trying a different microfilter, I'm happy to send a free replacement if you don't have a spare. Are you also able to try a different phone handset?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet