cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection woes

Novacustard
Dabbler

Broadband connection woes

Been a happy plusnet customer for over a year.

I'm not sure how this is connected, but BT open reach have been in the street a few hundred metres away, and for the pas t few days I cannot get my laptops (windows & Mac) to connect to the internet. I have a number of iot devices, the usual smart TV, Alexa's and an android tablet, all of which are working fine. Laptops can see the plusnet hub but won't connect to the internet. My galaxy s9 also now won't connect.

I haven't changed any hub settings so am a bit stumped.

Restarting the hub doesn't solve it either.

So, what to do next?

Could the BT open reach vans somehow be preventing new internet connections?

Also, I connect to nhsmail webmail. It loads the login page, allows authentication, but then won't load the mail page.

Any ideas beyond resting the hub - my concern is that the existing connections might then refuse to reconnect.

16 REPLIES 16
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Broadband connection woes

Hi Novacustard,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear of the issue and appreciate the frustration of the connection. Apologies if this is causing any inconvenience.

At this stage I would not regard Openreach's presence in your neighborhood as anything that would be linked to your services , it may be they are there for a totally different reason. Having said that I have tested your line and can see there may be a fault, this requires you to follow some basic checks of your own before I can escalate this to an engineer at Openreach.

Please can you run through the steps on this troubleshooting page and also ensure you are connected to the test socket. If the issue persists with your broadband connection please then either raise a fault here or come back to us via this ticket to confirm the engineer statement so we can proceed on your behalf.

Let us know here how that goes.

Thanks - LF

Novacustard
Dabbler

Interestingly my phone connected again last night, and my wife's Laptop kicked her off the Internet at 8.50am today, coincidentally, bt had the local roadside box open at the same time.
Some broadband is still getting through, as in one alexa still streaming Internet radio, while the others refuse. I still suspect that bt are somehow throttling, but dont know how the laptop loses Internet but not all the iot in the house.
Anyway, thanks for the links, I will work my w way through them.
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries @Novacustard and thanks for the update there.

It does sound coincidental so I'll leave you to report back to us. We'll be happy to run the diagnostic tests again and it may save you needing to raise a fault.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks - LF

Novacustard
Dabbler

No issues discovered after goingt htorough the check list.

This morning, I had internet access on my phone when I left the house, but none when I returned.

After disconnecting four iot devices, my phone and computer were able to connect.

Seems identical to this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Is-there-a-12-device-limit-to-connected-devices/td-p/1613710

Only has become an issue in the last two weeks, and no new devices have been connected since December.

Novacustard
Dabbler

So, just come in from work and as the two large children are connected to the Internet I am unable to connect.
Please help - see my last post.
Novacustard
Dabbler

Still no response to my last two posts.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Novacustard 

Apologies for the delayed response, I'd like to note while I appreciate it's taking a while for us as staff to help out via our community forums recently, when you bump a thread this will push you to the back of our queue as our internal response system works from the latest post date when sorting posts and messages in the queue.

It's definitely not ideal, but the value of other people replying to threads to help out outweighs that and we're working on improving our response times so we can pick up threads in a timely fashion regardless.

It's also worth noting that bumping threads is against the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up. Wink

Moving on to the connection issues you're experiencing, I've tested your line and we're still detecting a fault "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report." so if you've done the troubleshooting steps Tahir has asked and tried a different router if possible, I'd recommend replying to the ticket he's raised Here on your account with your availability for an engineer to visit so we can investigate further.

If you want to try another router but don't have one, as the router we've sent is a good few years old it's out of warranty, so I'd recommend calling us on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you to send a new one out free of charge.

If you prefer to buy your own router, the details found Here should help you set it up.

Feel free to post back to let us know how you get on although I'd also recommend replying to the ticket too as this will get you into our faults queue for a colleague from our faults team to action this if we don't pick it up first.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Evening @Novacustard I'm just following up interested in how you've got on with this? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Novacustard
Dabbler

No update as yet. Been at work for the last two days so will take a look tomorrow.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah no problem. Let us know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Novacustard
Dabbler

I've run through the troubleshooting steps, connected to the master socket.

Phone dial tone seems OK, possibly a little crackley?

Only a few devices seem happy to connect, and it seems like there's a first come first served effect. For example, my Samsung tablet is connected, has run a browser based broadband speed test,

(Passed with 55mbs dl speed) but if I open another tab to access another plusnet page it takes an age to load, or fails to load.

I've checked the path of the cable and can see no issues affecting it between where it passes into the house and dissapears into a box on the telegraph pole.

Only thing I havent tried is my old bthomehub 5, which I will try.

Novacustard
Dabbler

So, connected up my old bthomehub 5 following the excellent instructions here : https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/td-p/1192234
Happy to report that normal service has been restored.
Please could you run a line quality check to see if the reported error has disappeared?
Many thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Novacustard

Sorry for the delay, I'm happy to see your service is working well now with a different router Thumbs_Up although I've tested your line today and the tests are still showing a fault on the line:

"Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report."

This may also be the cause for the slight crackling you're hearing on the line. Could you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net posting back afterwards so we can arrange an engineer with you to investigate further?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet