cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection periodically dropping out

BailieM19

Broadband connection periodically dropping out

Every few hours I seem to be booted off the broadband on my iPhone and TV for about 10 minutes while the connection restores itself - grateful if someone could check my line remotely and let me know if there's anything I can do to improve things.

Cheers

Marc

7 REPLIES 7
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Broadband connection periodically dropping out

Hello @BailieM19,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection and I have run a test on your line, which is showing what we would call a loop condition.

This is feedback on the line mostly caused by internal wiring or equipment. We will need you to rules these things out by firstly trying a new microfilter.

If the issue persists we will need you to set up your broadband equipment without any extension cabling, in the test socket. A guide on how to locate this can be found here.

Please ensure it is set up using the new microfilter and get back to us if the issue persists, leaving the equipment set up in the manner asked so that we can run further tests.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
BailieM19

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I have tried the new microfilter and test socket but still having the connection problems. I have left the connection as described to enable further checks.

Marc
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @BailieM19

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've tested your line this morning and it's currently syncing up at 40mb/s with no errors detected. Similarly, there have been no drops in connection since you've switched to the test socket.

Could you please keep the router in the test socket and monitor the connection over the next 48 hours, letting us know how you get on?

Best wishes

Dave

BailieM19

Hi RandallFlagg - thanks for your message. I was streaming NOWTV on my iPhone last night between 8 and 10pm, and noticed after switching to the test socket (just before 9pm), that the quality would drop significantly (impossible to watch for about 15 seconds at a time), which I had assumed was related to the broadband connection - do you know what might have caused this? I will continue to monitor over the weekend. If the connection is fine will I be able to leave it in the test socket?

Marc

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @BailieM19, thanks for getting back to us.

I'm afraid the list of reasons that could have caused your issues yesterday is so long, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess and risk misadvising you.

With regards the test socket - You can absolutely leave your connection in there for as long as you need.

BailieM19

Hi folks - have been monitoring over the weekend and have encountered problems with devices losing connections, particularly at the following times:
Friday 4th at 6:35pm;
Saturday 5th at 8:30am, 11:50am and 11:25pm; and
Sunday 6th at 12:55pm.

Hopefully this will help you to assess further.

Kind regards
Marc
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've checked your connection in general and specifically the times you've highlighted and there were no physical drops in connection. I suspect the issue you're experiencing relates to the wifi connection between your devices and the router.

Could you take a look at the wifi troubleshooting here and potentially monitor the connection via a wired device as a comparison to see if drops occur?

Best wishes

Dave