cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection keeps dropping out

downlands2
Dabbler

Broadband connection keeps dropping out

My connection has been dropping out every few minutes this morning. The same thing happened a few months back and someone was able to sort it out when I posted on the forum so I am hoping for help again. I have re-started and reset the router but to no avail.

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping out

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't finding any issues but I can see the connection is dropping.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
downlands2
Dabbler

The last time this happened it was nothing to do with our kit or anythign at our end - it was sorted remotely without going through all the checks.

downlands2
Dabbler

I wouldn't be surprised if  the recent rain hasn't had some impact. One engineer told me that he had found the cavity under the fibre box on the street was half full of water!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's possibly weather related, but if our line tests aren't detecting where the fault lies, then we'd need to arrange an engineer visit. Before you raise a fault, I'd recommend making sure your router is plugged into the test socket as explained here.

Let us know if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
downlands2
Dabbler

We can't connect the outer permanently to that socket because the PN-appointed engineer who did the original install and put in the socket chose a telephone point some distance from a power supply and thenwouldn't move it even though he admitted he had no idea if that was the connection where the line came in. We have only used it when testing.

Not keen on booking an engineer - we have had experience when PN charged us for a visit when the engineer told me that the;problem was at the street box! We finally got the fee back after making a fuss but the refund probably had as much to do with PN being on the back foot because you had rmade a complete mess of our switch to fibre (which involved cutting us off completely for more than two weeks, with constant delays because PN staff didn't follow up) and it turned out the idiots at Openreach had connected our new fibre connection to someone else's phone line. It took a week of screaming to get anyone to accept that the problem wasn't at our end and another week or more to get the problem sorted!

Every time we have had a problem the PN automatic response has been that the problem is inside our property - and every time it hasn't been. You'll forgive me if I am more than a little cynical.

We had the same problem as we have today several months ago - constant disconnecting and re-connecting a couple of minutes later. Telephone support were useless and only when I posted here did someone look. They spotted that something wasn't right - a week later everything went back to normal without need of an engineer.

As I say, it is probably water - the box sits on ground with a high water table and we have had several days of heavy rain so the water has probably percolated through.

NB Taken a while to post this as the connection has gone down 3/4 times !

downlands2
Dabbler

I wonder how many goes it will take to post this! Connection has been failing every three or four minutes for hours now. Surely someone can see this?

downlands2
Dabbler

Well it pretty clearly isn't a problem at my end - unless the copper wires in my house have joined a union and are working to rule to some odd schedule. Sudden improvement after midnight last night and now patchy again. It has also been raining which I am sure is the problem, something we have reported before when our system has been dropping out. But BT don't get paid by customers to sort out infrastructure issues and since PN are owned by BT they aren't going to push for improvements. Thankfully we have just come out of contract so can now go elsewhere (after about 15 years).

bluewhale
Rising Star

i assume you've called 17070 and done the quiet line test?

i know what you mean though, note i discovered recently that you can keep your plusnet email when you leave by stating this is what you want and paying ~£1 a month, impossible to get proper T&C for this email only account though

but worth bearing in mind if you leave, i'm in the same boat again having been with plusnet for >15 years

makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes, we can only hope that they are caught up in something positive for plusnet and us

meanwhile we should all be pushing for openreach to be reformed in some way as their service is truly awful right now