cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection had an aneurism. The embedded Quality Monitoring Graph says a thousand words

h107474
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Broadband connection had an aneurism. The embedded Quality Monitoring Graph says a thousand words

My fibre broadband connection seemed to cut out on Wednesday morning and on inspection of my Think Broadband Quality Monitor (see attached) the dropped packets steadily increased until complete failure. This righted itself and but then repeated creating quite the pretty pattern in the graph. Despite the dropped packets taking a brief break between the deterioration, the stability of the connection was still very poor with pages not loading and devices reporting "no connection". The speed also took a nose dive and has never recovered. I typically get ~50down/7up but am now on ~10d/3u with continued packet loss shown in the ongoing quality monitor. Sometimes I cant even run a speed test getting a message about latency preventing it.

I use a BT Openreach Modem Huawei EchoLife HG612 3b modem and Asus RT-AC68U Router. Restarting the modem and/or router makes no difference. I even have a spare BT Openreach Modem and tried that with no change. I have left it overnight to see if it was a fault that may have been caught by Openreach and fixed but apparently not.

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Broadband connection had an aneurism. The embedded Quality Monitoring Graph says a thousand w...

Sorry to hear you're having connection issues.

We've tested your line and that's not showing any causes for this at all.

I can see we provided you with a Hub One when you signed up. Is it possible to swap over to that to see if you get the same issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
h107474
Grafter

Re: Broadband connection had an aneurism. The embedded Quality Monitoring Graph says a thousand w...

Matthew

Thanks for the prompt response. Apologies for not getting back sooner but I have found the still boxed up Hub One. I will get that swapped over tonight and run a few speed tests with a direct wired connection into the router. I can then leave it in place over the weekend for more sustained testing.

I did remove the face plate and wire my Openreach modem directly into the master socket at 4 pm yesterday with no improvement. See chart below.

My concern with the Hub One is how to actually monitor packet loss and connection stability given my Think Broadband QM wont work with it as it wont reply to ping request. Isolated speed tests are not providing the full picture.

TBBQM 20190510.JPG

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @h107474.

We're able to keep an eye on the stability for you up until a certain point, so I wouldn't worry too much,

Please let us all know how you get on with the PNH1.

h107474
Grafter

So I returned home from work last night ready to replace my current setup with the Hub One but double checked the Think Broandband Quality Monitor before starting. The pretty repeating red pattern of packet loss had cleared up. I did a speed test and although not back to 50Mbps it was >30Mbps. During the problem periods I was getting around 10Mbps. The internet use was stable too with no web pages dying mid load. Today I am mid 40s so its creeping back up.

See the plots below showing the extreme packet loss clear up around lunch time on the 10th and nothing of note since. Nothing has changed at home over that time so either something external was fixed or maybe the heavy rain during the week caused some cable joints to get wet. Who knows? Anyway I will certainly be keeping a close eye on it next time it rains consistently.

Thanks again for the prompt replies but it looks like this one sorted itself out HuhTBBQM_20190510.jpg

TBBQM_20190511.jpg

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's brilliant news @h107474, thanks for letting us all know.

Please don't hesitate to drop us another post if you need any further assistance - as you've found, we're only a click away.