Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but no internet

Pnda183
Dabbler

Broadband connected but no internet

Hello

At around 9pm tonight, my internet seems to have cut itself off. I have a Technicolor TG582n. The LED for Broadband is solid green, but the Internet light is off. When I log into the router, in the Internet Services section within Broadband Connection, I click on the connect button and a short while later it pops up with an error message: ‘Connection could not be established: Disconnected by user.’ Then it disconnects itself and the last error message bit says ‘Could not bring up link.’

I’ve checked the log in details and they seem to be fine. Any help would be very gratefully received!

(Sorry for any hideous formatting. Am having to type this on my phone!)
19 REPLIES 19
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Broadband connected but no internet

Welcome to the Forum @Pnda183

Have you tried powering down the router and restarting it (leave it powered down for 60 seconds or so)? I know, I know: it has become a cliche but often it really does solve problems!

Failing that, I would try factory resetting the router; I have a Technicolor so I can tell you how if you no longer have the instructions.

Pnda183
Dabbler

Thanks!

I have tried the old reliable method of turning it off and on again, as well as a hard reset and a factory reset. Also switched the ethernet cable, and tried the test socket but still no joy. The only thing I haven't tried that I can think of is changing the router - I don't have a spare and I threw away an old router a couple of weeks ago!

Have given a call to the customer service team, they've done several tests and nothing is wrong with the router settings or log in details, so they are sending me a new router. They said it is possible it's a fault with the router since its so old. If that doesn't fix it, then we'll have to get an engineer from BT to diagnose the problem.

Something to do with the router not getting a physical connection at the local BT exchange....?
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Pnda183,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your router/ connection and welcome to the forums.

I can see we have dispatched a new router today which will hopefully resolve the problem. Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Pnda183
Dabbler

The new router has been delivered and I've set it up but in experiencing the same issue. Still not able to connect to the Internet. The power light is orange and the Broadband light flashes red every now and then.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection issues @Pnda183.

If you've already been through our Troubleshooting Guides Here and you're still experiencing problems, please can you report the issue over at https://faults.plus.net

Once you've done this, please let us know and we'll be able to get that raised for further investigation with our suppliers for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Pnda183
Dabbler

Thanks for the response HarryB. I've reported the issue this morning.

Thanks!
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Pnda183,

I've just updated the ticket on your account. Could you reply back to it for me so I can get an engineer booked out. Ta. 

Pnda183
Dabbler

Hi Jolo

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this yesterday but I have provided a few slots for this week. If none of those are convenient, do let me know and I'll add some times for next week too.

Thanks for all of your prompt action, much appreciated!
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Pnda183,

I have taken a look into your account today and provided an update to the ticket, which can be viewed here.

Please let us know once you've been able to take a look at and respond to the ticket so that we can pick this back up again as soon as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Pnda183
Dabbler

Thanks for the update Alex, have provided a response with further information.

Thanks again!
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Pnda183 ,

Thanks for your post.

I can confirm that I've booked in the soonest available appointment for next week, on Monday 5th November between 8am-1pm.

Please let us know if there is anything else at all you need, we're always happy to help.

Pnda183
Dabbler

Great, thanks for confirming and for the super speedy action!
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Its our pleasure @Pnda183.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Pnda183
Dabbler

Hi SammyM

It's gone past 1pm and the BT engineer still hasn't arrived. Am starting to get a little frustrated as it has been almost 2 weeks now and we've made very little progress on resolving the issue. Any help would be gratefully received, my bed bound mother is getting very frustrated, and I don't have enough mobile data to offer as a hot-spot while I use it for my work at the same time!

Thanks!