cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but cant browse on any wifi or directly connected device - but I can still ping

rhoates
Dabbler

Broadband connected but cant browse on any wifi or directly connected device - but I can still ping

My suspicion is the router as its been pretty slow for the last few weeks (as slow as a 4G dongle), but this time as of last night (04/12/2017) there is no internet browser access from any windows 10 laptop, windows 10 desktop (directly connected), mobile device (iphone, android, windows).

I've done the usual checks:

• Router is showing Blue
  • Connections, Microfilter
  • Restart Hub One Fibre router (as well as cold start)
  • Checked with one (i.e. all other ports disconnected.) directly connected laptop
  • "Checked Connection" in router admin console and it appears good.
  • The local network is fine as I can read data, remote onto any machine.
  • There is Bit Defender antivirus on all machines
  • A Ping from the desktop works to any web address.

The only suspect thing is there are a lot of BLOCKS in the routers log. Could this be a DOS attack?

Would anyone recommend a factory reset on the Hub One Router?

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Broadband connected but cant browse on any wifi or directly connected device - but I can still p

It may be worth trying a factory reset of the router.

If that doesn't help, what's the broadband username coming up as when you go to 192.168.1.254? Is it connecting using setup@plusdsl.net or your username?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rhoates
Dabbler

Re: Broadband connected but cant browse on any wifi or directly connected device - but I can still p

Thanks Anoush,

I'm pretty sure it was my username - I'll check tonight and do a factory reset to see if that sorts it. I can also take an extract of the log (any tips for that?) and post it here.

Otherwise all I can think is that the router is broken and will need a replacement.

I'll let you know,

C.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, keep us posted.

The logs may help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rhoates
Dabbler

No luck with factory reset. I can see that it used the guest login of setup and I then changed that to my user but no change. I'll pull the logs so you can look.
rhoates
Dabbler

I'm currently using a dongle from the same laptop I tested it against and that is obviously working, and I've also tested it without any wifi devices connected, so it rules out my equipment.

Still no internet access.

I've attached your routers logs (separated by category) from when it was reset - I've also got them from before if you need.

Next steps are probably:

• for you to look through the log to see if anything is amiss - can you get an engineer to login remotely?
  • check if there are outages in the 0121 6 area
  • send me a replacement router
  • send an engineer onsite.

I still can't get through to customer support to log an incident - Could you raise one for me, please?

Thanks in advance,

C.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll be happy to take a closer look when I'm back in the office tomorrow, though I'd recommend reporting the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net tonight as the troubleshooter may detect a potential line fault and report to Openreach automatically.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rhoates
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Went though the http://faults.plus.net troubleshooter this morning and did the ppp test at the end - which failed its test connection. Will there be a ticket raised for it?

If you can spot anything in those logs - it might help?

Thanks,

C.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

rhoates
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Is there anyway I can escalate this as I'm 3 days without internet now. Can you confirm that it's in the system and someone is looking at it please,

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Chris.
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.
To narrow the issue down, I've just done a dial test, which basically entailed logging in to the internet using your connection details and I was able to load numerous webpages without any issues at all. This indicates that everything is fine on our side.

Testing your line isn't showing any issues, so I'm hesitant to arrange an engineer visit at this point.
Given that you're experiencing problems using a range of devices, both wired and wireless, I'm sending you out a new router which you should receive within the next few days.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rhoates
Dabbler

Hello,

Just to update others who may be looking.

Plusnet asked me to turn off the router for 12 hours, so a deeper test/check could be done.

Initially there was no change, but about 30-60 minutes ago, it all came back on line!!

Very happy now AND it seems much much quicker than before.

I've asked plusnet to post their solution here, whatever it was.

But thanks to all who helped to resolve fairly quickly 

C.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy to hear that Chris!

Admittedly, we didn't do the dial test last night because I completed it yesterday morning instead and found no issues, so I'm not sure what cleared the problem.

It's possible there was a stale session and it was fixed by switching your router off for an extended period of time.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet