Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband conection dropping out.

bundybarron
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband conection dropping out.

Evening all.

We moved across town about 3 months ago, and brought our Plusnet fibre broadband package with us. However at the new address we have been suffering quite regularly with our connection dropping out. It only usually last for a few minutes or so (but long enough to halt any streaming, browsing or gaming) and we often watch with bated breath for the router light to turn back to 'Blue'!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

20 REPLIES 20
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Broadband conection dropping out.

Hi Stuart. Sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

Our tests are showing two issues. There's congestion at the exchange where additional infrastructure is estimated to be added by the 21st December.

Discussing this with our suppliers, due to how far the congestion goes it's unlikely there's anything they can do until extra capacity is added, however this would likely cause slow speeds at peak times but not the drops you're reporting.

The other issue we're seeing is a line fault "Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises." To progress this fault with our suppliers we'd need to book an engineer visit.

As our testing is always only an estimate, before we arrange an engineer, could you run through the troubleshooting Here letting us know over here when you've completed it, so we can retest your line?

Once the connection issues are sorted out, we'll be happy to pass the fault report to our suppliers complex faults team to do more digging into the capacity issue to see if there's a workaround sooner.

I'm reluctant to pass it to that team now, because we won't be able to progress the line fault to an engineer if needed. Essentially, there can only be one type of broadband fault open with our suppliers at any one time.

Let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bundybarron
Dabbler

Thanks will have a look at this tomorrow morning.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, keep us posted

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bundybarron
Dabbler

Some additional info/pics. 1st one should be my one and only phone socket in the house. And the 2nd one is outside where the phone line runs down the side of the house and into some odd looking 3M plastic tube?
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bundybarron

Thanks for providing those images - phone socket looks fine, not entirely sure what the tubing is that the cable runs through, though I'm sure an engineer would be able to confirm.

If you wanted to progress this to an engineer, I've updated your fault ticket here with the timeslots we have access to - if you update the ticket with your availability and give us a nudge here, we'll get this booked in for you ASAP.

Best wishes

Dave

bundybarron
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg

Hi Dave

Ive actually removed the face plate and plugged into the Master Socket.

I have since noticed your message and was about to reply when the connection dropped in the same way that it usually does.

I'll re-attach the face plate as that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Weekdays between 1pm-6pm would suit us best I think.

Cheers Stuart

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the heads up - could you please update the ticket with your availability as we're unable to accept this via social media.

Appreciated

Dave

bundybarron
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg @Gandalf

Morning.

Ive updated the ticket with some time slots.

Cheers

Stuart

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @bundybarron,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've updated your ticket now in regards to this, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bundybarron
Dabbler

Evening

Well BT came round today to look at the problem of the Broadband dropping out and............Its still Dropping Out, same as before.

The engineer changed the 'Master Socket' and said that's all he can do at the moment. He said to check that 'router' is not getting hot (its not) and that probably the next course of action is a new router. Then if that doesn't sort it maybe they will check outside line?

If its dead quiet and I am just searching net on my phone I can hear the router whirring when pages download.

Also we have a Smart TV and Xbox hardwired to router and my wife's and my Iphones connected via WIFI so, I don't think its particularly overloaded.

What next chaps?

bundybarron
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ @RandallFlagg @Gandalf

See above post please.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@bundybarron,

The obvious next step is a new router, so I've ordered a new one for you which should be with you in a few days. After this is the problems still persist it will be another visit. 

Just out of interest did you get the chance to ask, or did the engineer mention anything about that tubing on the outside? 

bundybarron
Dabbler

Hi @JOLO

No he didn't as far as I'm aware, unfortunately I wasn't in at the time and my wife delt with the engineer. I think he gave the impression that all he could do was the master socket at this time. 

Thank you for the new router. But I'd be willing to bet thats not the problem.

notmyname
Rising Star

That "Tubing" is what would be referred to as a "Sausage" (by some engineers). it's basically joining your dropwire to another piece, as at some point it wasn't long enough. That 2 core cable needs replacing, the part on the top of the "Sausage".

It's an obsolete cable (dropwire 6/7 I believe) and is highly likely to be causing the fault on your line. Chances are your experiencing drops more when it's raining and or windy.

Any engineer worth their salt should have replaced that, unless there are mitigating circumstances such as safety etc...