cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

ChrisAylesbury

Broadband Speed

I am a writing my thanks to Plusnet in their attempts to improve my fibre broadband speed. When I joined Plusnet, some years ago, connected by ADSL to a broadband line with a maximum speed of 2.5mbs, for a while I put up with this low speed. However I started to use TV on demand etc. The speed was totally inadequate, thus I decided to upgrade to fibre broadband with a promised speed of 22-38 mbs. But regretfully maximum speed achievable was 20mbs , worse still over time this dropped

further to about 10mbs. Plusnet were very good in organising promptly, engineers visits from Openreach, 4 visits. There was a speed increase after each visit to about 19-20mbs. Unfortunately the speed, over time, dropped back to 10mbs.

It was established the fibre cable went to my telephone cabinet as expected, however the difficulty was where was the cabinet? The BT maps for this area were hand drawn and eventually the cabinet number was finally found, then it was found that the cabinet was over 900 metres from my house. The signal loss through the old overhead copper cables was inevitably sufficient to

reduced the speed. With new houses being built around my semi-final rural location I thought great !!! New phone lines etc. But not my house. The new houses got phone lines from other cabinets and also Virgin Media laid their fibre optic cabling. The latter runs passed my house, so I signed for Virgin Media they gave an installation date, this was cancelled the day before with no explanation and original order has disappeared from my account. I did managed to eventually find out that the housing developers had buried the VM cable service holes on our relayed street footpath. That seemed to be easily rectified, but not so, the council had put a stop for 12 months on any excavations of the footpath. But I certainly haven't heard anything from Virgin Media they could learn a lot from Plusnet customer service departments. Thanks Plusnet

2 REPLIES 2
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Broadband Speed

Hi @ChrisAylesbury, welcome to the forum.

We really do appreciate you taking the time to write this feedback.

I am sorry to hear the issues you are going through with your current provider and we wish you all the best for the future.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
ChrisAylesbury

Re: Broadband Speed

Beyhive

Thanks for your reply I am still with Plusnet, just hoping Openreach will move my phone line to a new cabinet although subsequent enquiries established that there are no plans to do so!!!!! Certainly Virgin Media are probably working on another planet.