cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed very poor and WIFI drops devices

Skevvers

Broadband Speed very poor and WIFI drops devices

Hi all,

Has anyone experianced bad broad band speeds and WIFI drop off's?

The speeds I get are around 30Mbps and thats on a good day! We can not online game and video stream from netflixs at the same time. If I contact plusnet, I get the can you do a speed check and check filters etc etc. I have had the speed issue from BT, Sky and Vodaphone so I know its not a filter issue at my home but the line leading upto my home and for some reason doesnt get repaired Sad During lock down I had to pay for extra data via my mobile as the broad band was so flaky, my children could not use it and was missing or late for classes. This was even if they where sat in front of the router. 

I sent a email to plusnet CEO only to be ignored!

Has anyone else experianced this?Huh

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Broadband Speed very poor and WIFI drops devices

@Skevvers  Welcome to the forum.

All emails to Plusnet are ignored, it’s not a form of communication to which they respond, period.

If you want help then we need to know what speed your line will support and what speed you are actually getting when tested over an Ethernet link to your hub, not wireless. The estimated range for your line can be obtained by entering your phone number here.  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
Back in about the 70s there was a copper shortage and aluminium cored cable was used. If you are one of the unfortunate ones then this is a known cause of problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Skevvers

The speed is a nightmare, but I know it is with my BT  line.

The main issue I have is with the Router dropping the WIFI all the time. Even if you are sat right in front of it. This has had a major problem when home schooling.

I have looked this up and people have been advised to firmware up your router which you cant do yourself(Stupid but ok) OR use someone elses router like BT so you can access Plusnet Broadband. This part I have a major problem with because if a provider can not rely on their own hardware. How can they expect their customers to?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Skevvers 

So your broadband speed to your hub is a nightmare but that’s OK because you know it is?

What has Plusnet advised you to do with your wireless? For example have they suggested splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

Plusnet is a budget ISP and supply a budget hub that meets most people’s needs. The BT branded product is not, the Smarthub 6 is a much better product and can be adapted to use on your Plusnet service. If that is a major problem for you then fine.
If you change your mind they sell for very little money on auction sites and the setting instructions are linked from  here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

A warm welcome to the forums.

So what self help steps have you followed so far?

• Quite Line Test?
  • Plugged the router into the test socket behind the master socket face plate (eliminates all internal extension wiring)?
  • Done the BT speed tests over an ethernet connected device?
  • Is the 30mps you mention sync speed or data transfer test speed?  Which ever that is more than adequate for the majority of needs

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What devices are you having problems with - Apple MACs by chance?  Some devices are notorious at flipflopping between the two WiFi bands, which is nothing to do with either Plusnet nor BT and can be alleviated by making the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band SSIDs different.  But I guess that you know that already?

BTW Plusnet does not have a CEO.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bellis85

Hi, we had the same issue when we moved to Plusnet, took several months but eventually they confirmed that there was a fault with the line that was limiting the speed back at the exchange . BT engineer attended and they had to swap our line at the exchange all sorted after than. Wi-Fi issue we found was an issue with the 5Ghz channel on our router, which was a firmware problem on the router. We switched off the 5Ghz channel and then had no problems with wi-fi dropping off..........still waiting for Plusnet to release a firmware upgrade so we can start using the 5Ghz channel again.