cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Keeps Disconnecting 2-5 Times Per Day for the Last Few Months

MattDeakin
Dabbler

Broadband Keeps Disconnecting 2-5 Times Per Day for the Last Few Months

Hi, my broadband keeps disconnecting every day a few times per day and it's getting quite annoying. We've been with you for a few months now, we originally thought it was just the setup process and might stop eventually but it hasn't and a lot of people on here seem to be having the same issues so I hope you can fix something backend. The light does flash orange if that helps?

Thanks,

Matt

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
smokeyshiva

Re: Broadband Keeps Disconnecting 2-5 Times Per Day for the Last Few Months

I also have the exact same problem - my partner has to hotspot on her phone whilst working from home. 

Proper pain in the [-Censored-]. 

I've got one of the original, white hub/routers and according to a friend who is a plusnet employee, they're the problem. 

I've requested to upgrade my line & router to a 'hub 2' - hopefully this solves the problem. 

Please let me know any outcome you get by contacting customer service because I was stumped when trying to get in touch.

Cheers, 

Joe

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@MattDeakin 

The orange light flashing indicates that this is a drop in the connection to your hub.

There are two tests that you can do. Take off the front section of your BT master socket. You may need to remove two scres, newer models clip on. In the back section you will find the test socket. Note that your extension sockets will no longer work.

1. Plug a wired phone in to the test socket, ring 17070 then Option 2, the quiet line test. If there's any noise report a phone fault.

2. Plug your filter (if you have a filtered faceplate then a separate filter will have been included with your hub) in to the test socket. Connect the filter to your hub and see if this cures the problem.

If there is no noise and the fault does not disappear then report a problem at https://faults.plus.net.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@smokeyshiva 

All faults are different so you can't assume that you have the same issue.

If your hub is showing a dropped line then follow the same advice above.

As an aside, all hubs issued by Plusnet are white.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @MattDeakin, thank you for getting in touch. I am really sorry for the issues that you are having with your service. I can certainly see that the line has been dropping, I have tested the line and this hasn't detected any faults that could be causing this.

I have created a fault ticket here for you with the next steps in getting this progressed: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221019677.

If you add a reply on the ticket, give us a nudge on here and we can pick that up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @smokeyshiva, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry that you too are experiencing some issues with your service.

I have checked your connection and this isn't showing any drops and no faults have been found on testing. Based on these findings it does suggest the issue is with the wireless signal. If you have devices connected to the router via Ethernet cable that are also having issues then please do let us know so we can advise further on this for you.

Wifi is prone to interference and this can come from many things such as other wireless or electrical equipment, but there are settings in your router you can amend to help with this. I can do this remotely from our side for you if you like but just a heads up this would just cause a brief drop in your wireless connection?

Alternatively, you can amend these settings from your side by following the steps below:

1) Connect a device to your Hub One, once done you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254.

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4) Turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

You will now see 2 available network connections in your settings (if the device is compatible) and can pick which one to use. Please note that the 5GHz has a stronger signal, however, not all devices support this and the range isn't as good. 2.4GHz is what most routers use so can often encounter interference but with that being said, it has a better range and therefore is better used for devices used further away from the router or that aren't stationary.

Just a heads up, if you complete a factory reset at any point, this will amend the settings back to default and the above steps would need to be completed again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MattDeakin
Dabbler

Hey, yeah it's not ideal to say the least, it doesn't seem to be a one off problem either so you would have thought it would have been sorted by now for newer customers. I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes! Smiley
MattDeakin
Dabbler

Hey, thanks for the reply! I don't use, or even have a wired phone as I just use it for broadband. When the engineer was installing the new socket and testing it out I didn't hear any noise when they plugged their machine in. So not sure if that's the issue or not, but thanks for the advice! Smiley
MattDeakin
Dabbler

Hi, the broadband did work for a few days after the engineer came and they did find a damaged connector. But it's now cutting out again and has been for about a week or two. I think it's to do with the plusnet panel, when the broadband cuts out it says that I'm disconnected, pressing connect doesn't seem to do anything, I just have to wait the 5 minutes or so for it to come back online.

Thanks,
Matt
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @MattDeakin

Thanks a lo for getting back to us and I'm really sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your internet service. I'll pop my GEA test and Radius below, the GEA test looks fine to be honest, however you'll see quite a few drops on the visual radius.
Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate from your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
See how you get on for a day or two while connected through the test socket, and if things don't improve, please let us know and we'll get this raised with Openreach, and arrange an engineer visit.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 68.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 778.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Weekends
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From11:00to11:15
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 6
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-01-17T14:15:00
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MattDeakin
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I don't think there's anything else the engineer can do to be honest, the last time they were here for over an hour looking at all the places something could go wrong. I have tried pluging the router into the test socket and I've tried everything in your guide. I'm almost certain it's something to do with the admin page or at your end as the ISP. It keeps asking me to sign into the WiFi network, it then takes me to the admin page and says its disconnected. I try to click connect and log in again with the plusnet email address but it doesn't reconnect until about 5 minutes or so later when it does it automatically and then says it's connected.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@MattDeakin Might not prove or disprove anything, but could you post your Hubs Help Desk page - a thought has occurred to me, but I don't want to say anything just yet.

John
MattDeakin
Dabbler

Hi, here's the page you asked for. I've also attached a picture of the home page showing which part says Disconnected when it has cut out. Thanks for the help Smiley

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Thanks for those screenshots, Matt. They are helpful, but I'm sorry to ask for another one - can you post your WAN logs? It could be a BT/OR equipment issue, but whatever it is isn't affecting your actual connection speed.

John
MattDeakin
Dabbler

No worries, I've attached the WAN Event Logs, I've done it as screenshots as I'm not sure if there's an easy way to export them to a file. And no the speed is fine, it's just the cutting in and out that's the issue.