cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fibre speed is slower than a year ago

JohnO76

Broadband Fibre speed is slower than a year ago

Hi All,

I've been living with this issue for a long while and finally trying to improve my speed to back what I used to get which was ~20mbps.

The BTW Performance tester is currently reporting 3.7mbps down and 3.95mbps up.  That's about what I've been getting for the last year.

I've also shared the results of the BT Broadband availability checker.  I don't really understand the results in the table.  Is it suggesting I should be able to get a minimum download speed of 30mbps?

I'd really appreciate some help in resolving my issues and getting my speed back into a reasonable range.

I'm subscribed to Unlimited Fibre.

Thanks in advance.

John

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Broadband Fibre speed is slower than a year ago

@JohnO76 Welcome to the forums. Those are terrible results, how long have you been putting up with them, and not re[porting the problem to Plusnet?

From the Speedtest results, I notice excessive ping times, as well as speeds which would disgrace an ADSL connection, never mind a VDSL one.

The BT Availability Checker indicates that you are at the lower end of speed expectations - do you know where your 'green box' is? From those results, it must be some distance away.

To help other Community members (and PN Help Team members), could you post the results of the 'Additional Diagnostics' tab from the speed test site, and a screen shot of your Hubs Help Desk page, obscuring personal details, please?

John
JohnO76

Thanks for the quick response Jab1.

It's been ongoing since Feb I'd guess, it's been so long I'm not sure when it started now.

I'm not far at all from the green box, maybe 100 - 150 metres.  Trouble seemed to start when I noticed a couple of things which may or may not be related.  There was a lot of activity at the green box by different Virgin engineers over the period and I wonder if that could have deteriorated my service.

Secondly a robin built a nest in the roof right next to the telephone wire and everytime it came and went it would bounce on the phone line which would intermittently cause the router light to go orange.

I've attached the additional screenshots.

Thanks,

John

jab1
Legend

No problem John. If you are that close to the cab, something is seriously wrong - your Line and Signal attenuation figures indicate you are not connected to that cab. Virgin Media should not have been anywhere near BT infrastructure, so are you sure they were VM? The robin shouldn't have caused that - I've had four or five wood pigeons on my line at times - much heavier, with no ill effects.

To be honest, something is seriously wrong - you are on a VDSL connection which is behaving like an ADSL one. To be honest there is little more I can suggest, other than we need a PN Help Team member to very carefully look at this.

I'll keep my eyes on the topic, but I'm afraid there is nothing else I can suggest at the moment.

John
JohnO76

Well now I'm not so sure it's a BT cabinet at the end of the road.  I'll take some photos tomorrow and have a closer look. 

Is the VDSL / ADSL difference determined by the product you pay for Fibre vs Broadband?  Or is it determined by the infrastructure at the exchange?  How can you tell I'm on a VDSL connection?

Thanks for you help and I'll wait for the PN Team to get in touch. 

Cheers,

John

jab1
Legend

Yes, the VDSL?ADSL is based on what pay for - and what product it says you have, in the Members Centre, but I can tell from the 'modulation' mode on your Hub.

Sorry I can't help more.

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
To start with I would recommend following the faults process at http://faults.plus.net
Regards
Richard
jab1
Legend

Good idea, @RichardB  - although I don't know hoe fast the faults team pick these up these days.

@JohnO76 If you do go down that route, post back please.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @JohnO76, thanks for getting in touch.

I am sorry for the issues that you are having with your speed. Testing your line shows that you are currently syncing at 7.1mb but your line is banded.

I have now raised the fault to our suppliers and sent off a request to have the banding removed (this can take 72 hours) and once done, we will see how things are from there for you.

I have updated your fault ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team