Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fiber fault

FIXED
emblaze1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband Fiber fault

I have recently re-joined PlusNet after a bad experience with Talk Talk and cancelled under the 20day option thinking PlusNet would switch us back without any delay. Unfortunately that was not the case and we had to go through the 10 working day to get a switch on. This happened yesterday and we got an email that they had conformation it had gone live I presume from open reach. Guess what no internet only a flashing red light on router. Same router and cables as we had previously and also tried resetting router but still the same. We had conformation from plusnet that everything was fine on the line!! I presume open reach had tested everything before we went live to confirm the fiber broadband link?. We that included my daughter who needs the internet for her work spent about 3hrs either being redirected to another department with the annoying recording of due to the high demand are wait times are 15 mins, well I had given up not being answered after 35mins and my daughter was the same when she had a go (appalling service) also live chat was not answering, the only way we got through in the end was to use the option that we were cancelling and low and behold it was answered only for the person to say I need to put you through to the right department arrgg!.

Eventually we got hold of someone from tech support more luck than anything else and we told them after doing checks like  yes we have a power light on and we suggested that it is an open reach issue, something they have not done which may be part of their checks when they test the line. 

They then said that he could not raise it with open reach as it was past 5pm on a Friday and no one would be there and I would have to wait till Monday and the bad news was that it could take 2 weeks for a fault to be fixed by open reach, he also suggested that if we knew it was a open reach issue why did we not report it while plusnet were setting us up over the last 10 days. Surely if open reach did their job properly and also they serve the internet suppliers we would not be in this situation today. We even contacted open reach only to be told you have to contact your provider i.e. plusnet.

Well we cannot wait till Monday or the 2 weeks it takes for open reach to resolve our broadband  fault as myself,my wife, daughter and son all need the internet for their work so we have had to purchase 4 lots of BT hot spot at 17£ a time for one week so we can all work. If I was with BT the hot spots would be free maybe I should go to them, either way I am claiming back all our extra expense from plusnet or openreach via the claims/high court bailiffs  if no settlement is reached.

24 REPLIES 24
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Broadband Fiber fault

Sorry to hear of your poor experience. Unfortunately as the line was with another provider, we had to place a working line takeover, which takes a minimum lead time of 10 working days due to regulation.

I've taken a look into the fault report. Since we've raised it with our suppliers, they've come back to us advising that they are unable to identify the location of the fault. To progress this we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

I'll reply to your fault ticket shortly. Let us know once you've replied and we'll get the engineer booked in.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
emblaze1
Dabbler

For heaven sake why waste time sending an engineer here only for them to say it's a open reach issue. It's like you don't believe what we are saying that this end is set up correctly. We are using the same cables and router as when we had plusnet for 18 months without any issue with the broadband which finished only 3 weeks ago.

Obviously open reach are not doing their job properly by saying there is nothing wrong with the line as there patently is, as we have no broadband. I see that the email says we will be charged £65 if the fault is within our house, so what compensation will we get from you if it is proved that it is not our problem?. So far we have had to spend over £50 to get wifi from BT's hot spot and 5 hours of our time mine and my daughters even to get to this stage.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you entered the new username and password in the router?

emblaze1
Dabbler

Thanks Mustrum we are using the same router we had with plusnet only 3 weeks ago which worked for 18months. We only switched it off and nothing changed on any laptops. We cancelled talk talk in the end with the 20 day option to cancel.

I got an email from PlusNet yesterday the booklet just describes the cable attachments, power and filter etc anything else you have to contact tech support. We already have contacted their tech support they said nothing about any passwords. Below is part of the email I was sent yesterday. We just get a flashing light on the router for broadband 

Time to get connected

Your Plusnet router will automatically connect when it's plugged in and switched on. Check the booklet supplied with your router if you need help setting up

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Have you tried a factory reset of the router?

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

When you leave PN they cancel your account in the member centre, when you signed up again did you get a new username and password for the member centre? If so, you will need to enter it in the router.

Or as @bmc says, a factory reset will set it back to setup@plusnet or similar and the automatic setup should kick in.

PN sgould be able to tell you if you are getting authentication errors. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If it's the Hub One, a flashing red light indicates a problem with the broadband line, a solid red light is an authentication error. An orange light indicates the account isn't set up yet.
emblaze1
Dabbler

Thanks Brian yes. That was the only thing the tech guy suggested certainly not the password thing.

emblaze1
Dabbler

Browni it is a flashing red light.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Thought it may have been, explains why an engineer is required.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The router serial number would be associated with the old now dead account so a factory reset will not work - unless Plusnet have re-registered the router to the new account. If they haven't the new login name and password will have to be entered manually

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
emblaze1
Dabbler

Mustrum  thanks for your input but password and username are the same. This is what I found on this forum from Anoush who replied to me earlier from plusnet to another user .

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I don't think it's a password issue. A flashing broadband light indicates your router isn't connecting to the exchange. My tests down your line aren't completing, so I've raised a fault with our suppliers to investigate further.

In the meantime, I'd advise running through the checks here and here.

Let us know how you get on.

Anoush.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@emblaze1 wrote:

For heaven sake why waste time sending an engineer here only for them to say it's a open reach issue. It's like you don't believe what we are saying that this end is set up correctly. We are using the same cables and router as when we had plusnet for 18 months without any issue with the broadband which finished only 3 weeks ago.

Obviously open reach are not doing their job properly by saying there is nothing wrong with the line as there patently is, as we have no broadband. I see that the email says we will be charged £65 if the fault is within our house, so what compensation will we get from you if it is proved that it is not our problem?. So far we have had to spend over £50 to get wifi from BT's hot spot and 5 hours of our time mine and my daughters even to get to this stage.

I'm afraid that if we're/our suppliers are unable to identify the location of the fault from a line test, the only option we have would be to arrange an engineer visit. We'll be happy to discuss a gesture of goodwill once you're back up and running.

I can see that's booked in now, can you let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@emblaze1

You do realise the engineer Plusnet are arranging is one of their suppliers engineers - i.e. an OpenReach engineer? I'm not sure how you expect OpenReach to fix an issue without allocating an engineer to take a look!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)