cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Drop when downloading

jmurton646

Broadband Drop when downloading

Hello,

I have a bit of a strange issue when downloading things that has been puzzling me for a little while. I mostly notice it with Steam however it can occur with any website it seems when I initiate a download. Quite consistently the moment I open Steam/start a download it will cause the internet to drop, the router starts flashing orange and anything using the web in the house loses connection until it the router reconnects again. As mentioned it isn't just Steam but that seems to be how I can consistently recreate the error.

It feels like quite a gamble now (especially WFH a lot more) if I have a need to download something for work whether I'm going to lose connection and knock out both myself and partners connections to work whilst the router reconnects. 

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this ?

Thanks

Josh

3 REPLIES 3
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband Drop when downloading

@jmurton646   Welcome to the forums.

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or via a wired connection?

Is your Hub One connected into the master socket via one of those filters or is it  a master socket with built in filter sockets?

It might be worth trying connecting it the internal connector behind the Master Socket faceplate to see if that improves things, with the filter device it also helps eliminate any internal house wiring as a issue.

jmurton646

Thanks for replying. I’m connected via an Ethernet cable. The hub does connect to a filter first before the BT socket. I believes it’s the master one ? It’s the only one I know of in the property. I have had a look but can’t see that the faceplate comes off (easily) on the socket. Perhaps it an older socket / faceplate ?
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@jmurton646 

The following web page on the PlusNet website might help:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ 

The master socket will either have a couple of screws holding the face plate to the back of the box or it might be one of the new ones which apparently use clips. Mine has the screws.