cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge mode issues - PS3 constantly disconnecting

nfrancis

Bridge mode issues - PS3 constantly disconnecting

Hi
I am having issues with my plusnet connection. I have a fibre connection with a TG582n (firmware 10.2.5.2) which is then linked via ethernet to a TG585 v8 running in bridge mode (set-up using the tpl file available here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100023.0.html/)
I have a PS3 connected to the TG585. So basically:
Fibre modem - > TG582n -> TG585v8 (bridge mode) -> PS3 (set-up with static ip)
The PS3 is connected via ethernet also.
My issue is that the PS3 is constantly dropping connection. I have set-up port forwarding on my TG582n but nothing is getting through (have checked with several port testers). I have even tried putting the PS3 in the DMZ but still nothing.
I have also noticed that when connected wirelessly on my laptop, I sometimes get a "no internet connection" page on Chrome. If I hit refresh the page loads, but it fails initially.
I am wondering if there is an issue with either running the TG585 in bridge mode (not what it was designed to do), orwith the TG582n which I'm aware is not the highest quality fibre router out there.
Trying to work out whether there is something I can fix or whether I'm better off buying a better fibre router and a simple network switch.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
P.S Just had one of those "duh" moments. Connected the PS3 straight to the TG582n (bypass the bridge router). Still no connection on port forwarding tests.
20 REPLIES 20
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Bridge mode issues - PS3 constantly disconnecting

Hi and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
It strikes me that you first need to ascertain if its actually a problem with your connection rather than bridge mode etc.  However, I can't actually work out what you're trying to do!  Why have you got the TG585 in circuit at all? 
Let's concentrate on the laptop first...  Connect it to the TG528n via an ethernet cable and establish if you have any problems browsing.  Run the tests on the BT Speedtest site, including the 'Further Test' and post your results.
nfrancis

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.
The reason I'm using the bridge mode is that the phone line is in a rubbish location, I can't move it as it's a rented house. Also, I have more devices than ports on the TG582 so would need either a bridged router or switch anyway.
Have connected my laptop straight to the TG582 & ran the tests. I took a screenshot of the results - attached.
Thanks
Nick
pwatson
Rising Star

Your linespeed looks fine so it's likely that it's also running with minimal errors.  I'd suggest that you investigate the laptop wireless and PS3 issues separately. 
The first thing I'd do is to remove the 585 from the equation - The easiest way to do this (at the expense of a switch port) is to connect it to the 582 using one of its LAN ports rather than the WAN port.  This means that it is just a switch rather than a bridged router.  Test this configuration with the laptop and confirm that all is well.  Assuming that is is, and that browsing is reliable then you can move to the two specific issues:
1.  Wireless - Many report that the wireless performance of the 582 isn't great but it's worth trying different wifi channels to see if that helps.
2.  PS3 - I haven't got one so can't comment too much.  Try removing any port forwards and testing it with it's internet browser and iPlayer etc (as these don't rely on any forwarding) before moving onto specific game issues.
HTH
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

No need for bridge mode (bridge mode bridges the ppp connection)...switch back to normal firmware then
1) set device ip as 192.168.1.200 (I presume the TG582 is on 192.168.1.254 and using dhcp range .....1 to 60)
2) Disable dhcp on the TG585
3) connect any LAN port on the tg585 to any lan port of the tg582
The 4 ports of the tg585 are now being used as a switch.
Any device connected to the tg585 will request a DHCP address etc from the tg582.
Ian
nfrancis

Thank you both for your replies.
I believe that I am already doing what you are recommending I try.
TG582 is set to 192.168.0.1. TG585 is 0.99 (dhcp range is 200 - 254)
TG585 has dhcp disconnected (& upnp disabled & firewalls disabled etc)
TG585 is already connected to TG582 using LAN ports on both (not the WAN port on the 585)
Can I do this without it being set-up in bridge mode? Will the bridge mode element make a difference?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

No you don't need the TG585 in bridge mode.
This may help:
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
nfrancis

Thanks for this. Reset the TG585 and now running in PPPoA mode.
Network connections coming through the LAN ports fine but open ports still not showing on port checker.
Had a look at the logs on the TG582 and saw this shortly after I ran a port test for port 80 (IP addresses removed):
FIREWALL rule : Protocol: TCP Src ip: 104.217.180.13 Src port: 43882 Dst ip: 192.168.**.** Dst port: 80 Chain: forward_host_service Rule Id: 1 Action: accept
Does that mean anything significant?
Am I best off fully resetting the TG582 and starting the whole network from scratch?
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

open ports still not showing on port checker.

Are you opening ports on the 582? no need to do anything on the 585.
Do all port forwarding on the modem/router (not the additional switch)
Ian
pwatson
Rising Star

As per my reply earlier, get your basic network tested and reliable before moving onto anything else.
Regarding port forwarding, are you sure this is necessary?  You mention forwarding port 80 for instance - Are you running a webserver on your PS3? 
nfrancis

Hi both
Ian - the ports are open on the 582, not the 585. I've also disabled any firewall or security on the 585.
pwatson - thanks for your reply. Looking back at your previous reply, I believe I'm there now with network stability. The 585 is just acting as a switch, connected via LAN ports not WAN ports. I've checked my wireless channels using inSSIDer and there are no conflicting channels nearby. Tested the PS3 with & without any port forwards and still highly unstable connection.
The reason I opened up port 80 is I opened up the ports recommended by portforward.com. Not specifically running a webserver. I spoke to PlusNet support regarding the unreliable connection & they said opening ports should help.
pwatson
Rising Star

From the way you've described the setup, the config change you've made to the 585 hasn't changed anything - It was acting as a switch anyway.
Ignore the PS3 for the moment.  Is your laptop running OK on a wired connection?  You initially reported that this was problematic?
Once the laptop is OK, move onto the PS3.  Can you describe what you mean by the PS3 'dropping connection' or 'highly unstable'?  Is this generally or just in a particular game?
No idea why PN advised you that forwarding ports would help with stability...  I can see that it might help with a game not working at all, but not working intermittently.
nfrancis

Laptop does currently seem to be stable. Been working from home for 48 hrs and not had any issues.
It's running fine both wired & wireless.
Regarding PS3 connection - it happens both in game & when using streaming services, or just when running, I will get a "disconnected from PS Network" message.
Basically it seems to be connected for 10 or so minutes, drops and then reconnects. But the drop obviously interrupts whatever I was doing. It will repeatedly do this. I have noticed when doing a connection test on the PS3 it shows UPnP as Not Available even though it is running on the 582. It also doesn't give me connection speeds on either download or upload.
I just got an error message out of the PS3, when trying to connect to Demand5 - Error 80710102 - a DNS error. The suggested actions are I either:
- enter my PPPoE settings directly into the PS3 (this presumes I'm using a bridge modem)
- reset my router to default settings
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The PS3 doesn't seem to like the implementation of UPnP on the 582, as I see it as not available too.
Hmm... DNS issue. Could point to the odd DNS relay bug with the 582. Could you try setting the DNS servers manually on the PS3 connection, either to PN (212.159.6.9 & 212.159.6.10), OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) or Google (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). See how it goes with that.
That's RPM to you!!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

UPnP works best with the PS3 placed on a static dhcp IP address, this is not the same as a static IP configured in the PS3's own network settings -- that's best set to automatic.
This is simply going to the routers (TG582n) networks settings, finding the page for the PS3 and placing a tick in the box "Always use the same IP address".
Also it may be worth enabling game mode in the TG582n.