cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new to PlusNet - poor speeds for Unlimited Fibre Extra and YouView TV issues

FIXED
macmonkey
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Brand new to PlusNet - poor speeds for Unlimited Fibre Extra and YouView TV issues

HI there,

We're brand new to PlusNet and had our Unlimited Fibre Extra was activated on 18/05/16. Our estimated speeds were shown and advised to be between 76mbps-80mbps down and 15mbps-20mbps up. We have only been receiving approx 51mbps down and 7mbps up.

I contacted PlusNet via Live Chat and was told that would speed up after the initial 10 day 'settling down' period but it hasn't. Following further Live Chat sessions it appeared that there was a fault and that this would be investigated.

I've had some further correspondence via email to say that the fault is now 'gone' and the connection has 'good speeds'. We are still getting nowhere near the estimated speeds; they are still at 51mbps down and 7mbps up.

On a separate - but related note - we also signed up to PlusNet TV with a new YV+ box. This arrived promptly and the setup was a breeze. We have had no end of problems since - none of the internet based channels work. They all appear in the YV Guide but all have an error of BTV-437 whenever you try to tune to that channel. Again I have contacted PlusNet for a response and they are apparently aware of this issue and the fact that t's affecting a sizeable number of customers. I have asked for an engineer visit but have been told that and engineer wouldn't be able to fix it as it appears to be an activation problem.

My confidence in PlusNet has taken a bit of a beating.

I'd be grateful for your advice.

18 REPLIES 18
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Brand new to PlusNet - poor speeds for Unlimited Fibre Extra and YouView TV issues

@macmonkey

Welcome to the forums.

Since the time that issue with the line has been marked as fixed, have you restarted the connection to Plusnet?

If not, the best way to do so is to log onto the router, click "Disconnect", wait a minute and then click "Connect".

If needed, guides to the various Plusnet supplied routers are here, just click on the picture of the one you have http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Brand new to PlusNet - poor speeds for Unlimited Fibre Extra and YouView TV issues

I'm just looking into this for you now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @SpendLessTime,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have restarted the connection exactly as you describe.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

macmonkey wrote:

I contacted PlusNet via Live Chat and was told that would speed up after the initial 10 day 'settling down' period but it hasn't. Following further Live Chat sessions it appeared that there was a fault and that this would be investigated.

PN? why are staff , telling customers this nonsense?? ,  we all know there is no 10 day training or "settling down" on FTTC.

Kind regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@macmonkey Our tests are showing what's known as a 'Bridge Tap' which can sometimes be a internal issue.

Is the router connected to the master socket (the first one in that comes into the property)?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler,

Thanks for your reply. At this moment my iMac (the computer I'm using right now) is connected to the router via ethernet and the router is connected to a phone extension socket. However, just to test things out I have moved the PlusNet router to the BT socket and connected my MacBook Pro via ethernet in the same way and I'm still getting exactly the same speeds. In other words it appears to make no difference which socket I use, I get the same lack of speed; 51mbps down, 7mbps up.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@macmonkey

If you have this type of socket, have you removed the front panel and plugged into the test socket inside it?

image012

This test socket bypasses all the internal wiring in the house so will help to see if your extension cabling is at fault or not.

macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @SpendLessTime

I don't appear to have that sort of socket.

This is what I have:

Image 1 - This is where I believe the line comes in to the house. (on the second floor)

Image 2 - This is the socket our home phone plugs in to. (on the ground floor)

Image 3 - This is where the router is plugged in. (in the converted loft)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think we're going to have to get a engineer out to address the speed issue.

I'm just getting that raised for you now.

Moving back onto the TV side of things can you do the following for me?

• Press the YouView button on the remote control
  • Select 'Settings'
  • Select 'System Information'
  • Select 'Software Versions'

Can you tell me what the ISP configuration shows?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler

Okay, thanks for organising that. 

Yes sure, on the YV+ box the ISP configuration number is 183. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just sent you a text asking for engineer dates and I've spoke with a colleague regarding the TV issue. It's a problem we are indeed investigating but it's not a simple fix.

Did you have TV with BT by any chance?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler

No, we didn't have TV with BT or any other provider for that matter, just had regular Freeview through an aerial. 

Thanks for the text messages regarding engineer visits too, I'll reply shortly. 

SpendLessTime
Hero

@macmonkey

Glad the engineer is coming out, that wiring looks "challenging" to say the least Huh

I hate to have to play where does the wiring start game.

macmonkey
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler,

Just to say that today, 03/06/16 the YouView TV service started working, I no longer have the BTV-437 error issue, all the internet based 'extra' channels now appear to work as normal. I noted that an announcement had been made here regarding the issue:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Status/Errors-viewing-some-TV-channels-88476/m-p/1339500

My experience suggests that this issue is beginning to be resolved.