cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought Netgear D6200 but now wondering if it's suitable.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Bought Netgear D6200 but now wondering if it's suitable.

I'm trying to improve my WiFi network. I connected directly to the router via ethernet last night and got 37-38Mbps. Where I use my laptop, two floors down and in an extension - so outside the original house wall, I get very variable results anything between 4Mbps to 30Mbps. My upload remains much the same no matter where I am at btn 5.5 to 6.5Mbps.
I bought a Devolo Newtwork kit today and set it up and my laptop WiFi signal strength showed 5 bars as opposed to my normal 1 or 2 bars *but* my Speedtest results were even lower than they were before. A swap several times between the Devolo and my normal network confirmed the lower speeds each time. I've taken the Devolo kit back to Maplins and got a refund.
I talked things through with them and eventually bought a Netgear D6200 Modem/Router on the basis that I may eventually have my master socket moved and if I did I wouldn't need to connect via my BT modem.
I haven't opened the box because I've now read up more carefully and it seems to me that the modem of this item is for ADSL only and not VDSL so I would still need to use the BT modem. Am I right?
p.s. I currently use a Netgear router supplied f.o.c. by +Net 5 or 6 years ago. I would like to stick with Netgear if poss for the sake of familiarity.
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Bought Netgear D6200 but now wondering if it's suitable.

As you fear the Netgear router does not incorporate a VDSL modem so it cannot be used by itself on your connection.  It does have an ethernet WAN socket however so you could use it in conjunction with the BT modern if you wish to.
I think two floors between the router and the laptop would be pushing it for most devices and I'd persevere with powerline devices if I were you.  I'm sure others will be along to recommend products.
Best of luck!
taras
Grafter

"Devolo Newtwork kit" <--what was this kit ?
Straight power line kit or an "wifi extender"?
longedge
Aspiring Pro

It was this one - http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-500mbps-powerline-wifi-network-kit-with-2x-wireless-extender-p.... Setup very straightforward and with one of the plugs very close to my laptop I got very good signal strength (~38dbm) but very little data. I'm sure that for some situations it would be good but it wasn't for me. I've thought about trying the extender option but decided that my best choice is to start at the beginning with a new router (incorporating a modem if poss) and then go from there.
I do have newts at the bottom of the garden but they don't come into the equation - my typo!  Cheesy
p.s. - There are 2 installation method options with this kit. 1 - Install it as a second network and 2 - clone existing network. Neither one made any difference for me.
dick:quote
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've now bought an Asus DSL N66U. I haven't opened the box yet, still reading up on it. Has anybody recently set up one of these and were there any problems? Anything to watch out for?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: longedge
I've now bought an Asus DSL N66U.... Anything to watch out for?

It is probably worth you reading the entire forum topic "Asus N66U Users Thread"
Make sure the first thing you do is update the firmware to the very latest version.
If I were you, check whether Asus have fixed the problem where this device apparently had no IPv6 firewall, so any device on the internet could access IPv6 enabled devices on your LAN - as I reported in September 2013, see "Asus N66U Users Thread - Reply #215".
Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with any updates for the N66U, as I decided to use something else that better suited my requirements.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That thread is about the Asus RT-N66U and not about the DSL-N66U    Confusingly similar model numbers but different beasts...
There was a thread here that highlighted a few problems but I don't know if they were resolved...
taras
Grafter

I'd try the asus, and see where you deadspot in your house. Then we can go from there ..
longedge
Aspiring Pro

After reading up on failed attempts to connect the Asus modem/router I've finally 'bottled out' of the single box idea. I bought a Netgear R6250 and have just set it up which took me all of 5 minutes including changing the SSID and admin/wifi access passwords to the same as my previous router also changing channels (all my neighbours appear to be on channel 1). It couldn't have been easier so that's me happy for now.
She who must be obeyed hasn't even had time to notice that there was a short break in connectivity and her IPAD doesn't seem to 'know' either, it's connected and working.
' InSSIDer' is telling me that I'm getting something like a 7dbm improvement straightaway and apart from my wireless printer which is in the cabinet underneath my laptop mine is the strongest signal. All good at the moment.
Thanks for the input to all.