Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boradband upgrade is slower than before

FIXED
BorderReiver
Dabbler

Boradband upgrade is slower than before

I have had a good few problem-free years with PlusNet and my contract was for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre. According to various online speed checkers, I was getting 30+mbps, occasionally up to 38mbps.  Yesterday I was checking my renewal date and looked at various upgrade options. I decided to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra, with the suggestion there that 66mbps might be available. Well I didn't expect that, but expected an improvement in speed, but after checking various online checkers, it seems that my fibre speed is now less than half the speed I was receiving before I "upgraded". Any suggestions why this is?

6 REPLIES 6
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Boradband upgrade is slower than before

Hi @BorderReiver,

I'm sorry to hear you've not seen an improvement in speeds following your upgrade.

I've checked your account and it looks like the broadband asset may have not actually upgraded as expected. I've now manually placed this order and would expect you to see an improvement in speeds some time tomorrow.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BorderReiver
Dabbler

Thanks for your prompt response, I'll keep an eye on things for a few days

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem. You may need to reboot the router once the order completes just to disconnect and reconnect on the new speed profile, however I'd hope the connection would drop once the order completes.

Do let us know if you've not seen an improvement in speeds after tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BorderReiver
Dabbler

Hi. The performance does seem to be a good deal better than yesterday. My problem is that there are so many speed checkers available and I have no idea which is accurate and which isn't.

I checked through PlusNet / BT and got...Latency 37   Download 22.16  Upload 7.79

I also checked Broadbandperformance.co.uk and got...Latency 39.8   Download 48.9  Upload  16.5

I would be very happy if the latter was accurate, but if the former was.

Speed has improved but an idea of how much would be useful.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Glad to hear you've seen an improvement.

When you say you've checked through Plusnet/BT, are you referring to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ?

I often use https://speedtest.net if I'm just running a quick check.

Testing from our side suggests your connection is in sync at 68.6Mbps download and 18.4Mbps upload.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
BorderReiver
Dabbler

Yes I was referring to the btwholesale.com website. 

I've tried speedtest.net and I'm happy enough with the result. I can even get 42mbps download on my wifi in another part of the house Thank You.