cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue light on but no internet

EllieWills
Hooked

Blue light on but no internet

I am getting really fed up with my broadband connection. The blue light is on, I am connected but there is no Internet. And when I try to connect to the router it doesn't work, it just stalls so I can't do anything to begin to try and help myself. 

This has been happening on and off more and more frequently. If there isn't a permanent fix somewhere I will have to change provides as can't afford to fall behind in my work. 

Any ideas on how to fix it before I apply the nuclear option? 

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Blue light on but no internet

@EllieWills Welcome to the forums. Are you an ADSL or Fibre customer, please?

If you have a 'blue light' - what other lights are on? How long have you been a customer?

John
EllieWills
Hooked

Hey John, thanks for looking at this. I have Fibre and there was a blue light and nothing else. I've been a customer for years, moved house about three months ago and had this particular router since. 

jab1
Legend

Morning Ellie. I'm a customer, not a PN staffer, but I need to ask another question: has this only just happened - i.e. you have had connection previously?

John
EllieWills
Hooked

Good morning 😊 I'll take help from where is offered John. It's not the first time. Its been happening semi regularly for weeks now. I restart the router and hope for the best and a couple days later its back as an issue. The frequency seems to be getting shorter though. What do you think? Would throwing the router out the window do the trick? 

I also get "could not authenticate connection" a lot. Not sure what that's about.

jab1
Legend

OK, this is where I have to kind of duck out on this, as I have no FTTC experience. I will ask the mods to move your question to the appropriate board where there are more experienced members.

Throwing the router out of the window is a bit extreme Smiley, and as you have had the service for a while, it sounds as though you have a problem which needs a proper investigation - most likely something outside your home.

Apologies for the delayed response - a phone call interrupted me.

John
EllieWills
Hooked

Absolutely no reason for an apology I appreciate the help. Thank you 😊
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I also get "could not authenticate connection" a lot. Not sure what that's about.

@EllieWills  is that when using wifi ?

Do you have anything that will connect wired (using an ethernet cable) to the router ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Missed that bit - it was added while I was on the phone, in mid-reply.

John
EllieWills
Hooked

Yeah, most of my usage is through WiFi. The TV is wired and that has less issues now you mention it.

I can probably connect my work laptop via a cable, my own laptop is one of the new generation which has few ports for anything 🙄

EllieWills
Hooked

I think it must be a WiFi issue. Right now I'm streaming on the TV (wired) but have no Internet on my phone which is connected through WiFi and my laptop can't even connect to the router. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It could well be a wifi issue then.

First thing I'd suggest is splitting the wifi bands by changing the SSID on the 5ghz channel. There's an explanation of how to do it in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

You will need to connect via a wired connection to do it though. I suppose it would be possible via a browser on the wired TV but without a proper keyboard it won't be easy, much simpler if you are able to connect a wired laptop

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine