Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BluRay player unable to connect outside LAN

gunsmoke
Grafter

BluRay player unable to connect outside LAN

Hi everyone
I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to do next
Our Panasonic BluRea player has been fine on Netflix for a year or two, but within the last week it has stopped connecting outside of our LAN
It picks up an IP address fine, but refuses to connect to the outside world.
The player is homeplugged to our 582n router (this is on FTTP), which sees the player fine. 
I've not done any manual updating of either router or player
DNS on the router is google, then plusnet
not quite sure what to do next
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
shure
Grafter

Re: BluRay player unable to connect outside LAN

I suspect the homeplugs are the issue.  They can be temperamental and sensitive to electrical interference.  Depending on the model you could try resetting them?
I had a similar issue a while back and swapping the homeplugs round resolved it.  No idea why.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've got a long Ethernet cable for such occurances. I happens  not infrequently but its nice to know its not Plusnet or the hardware Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Out of interest, what home plugs are you using?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
gunsmoke
Grafter

Thanks everyone
I'd unplugged the ethernet cable from the player, will try power cycling both the homeplugs
Cant remember off hand which homeplugs they are, over a year or so in place.  200mbps type
Will borrow a long cable to see if that cures it too.
Seemed strange that it pickes up an IP address, but an't get further
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IIRC the Homeplugs act as DHCP repeaters, so the Blu-Ray player may have a cached DHCP record which it's being locally assigned - but there's no upstream connectivity between the slave HomePlug and the master HomePlug.
I don't have them myself but I've had to fix other people's numerous times, usually unplugging and replugging solves it after a couple of goes but it's a PITA.
gunsmoke
Grafter

Hi everyone
It was the homeplugs, as most people suggested.
the player looked like it was picking up the lan, but it was only the lan to the first homeplug.
unplugging the homeplug for a few seconds seemed to clear it and everything is fine once more
Thanks
Richard
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Richard
We live in an older house built in the twenties and the wiring is "unusual".
We have extensions to the original ring main plus a loft conversion with its own wiring but for SWMBO's sake I use the homeplugs to avoid unsightly Ethernet leads. Occasionally if homeplugs loose sync I may have to take both out and connect in a double socket to resync them.
I'm trying to identify intermittent sources of electrical noise which could cause the homeplugs to loose sync at present suspects are fish tank pump and lighting, power supplies for DEC phone, power supplies for Youview box, PS for openreach modem.
I keep the long Ethernet cable in case I loose sync with a big rugby or football game on.  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra