cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked packets? Customer support not responding?

SlashyMcKnifey

Blocked packets? Customer support not responding?

Hello, I have had problems with reduced speed for over a year, having been able to achieve 38mbps when I first signed up to plus net but seeing this reduce to around 25mbps and sometimes much less. After many calls to plus net, including being told it would be nothing to do with the router, a BT Openreach person was finally dispatched and concluded, yes, you've guessed it, the slow speed was predominantly down to the router, although he did need to reset the sync speed (or something like that).
The new router arrived the other day and the speed has indeed picked up to between 28 and 31mbps, which is obviously much better, although it appears that the days of 38mbps are long gone. There had been some occasions when I checked the speed and it had dropped or the B light briefly came on for no apparent reason so I looked at the router event log and ever since the new router was installed, there have been literally hundreds of 'packet loss', 'blocked packets' etc. I have no idea what any of this means, I only know that if I look at the event log prior to installing the new router, I didn't see anything like that. I have attached a typical event log. I have sent several messages to plus net over the past couple of days about this, which have so far seemingly been ignored.
Any advice/explanation as to what this all means would be much appreciated.
On a separate note, what's about all these claims of 'award winning customer support'? I have had to wait over an hour just to speak to someone on the phone, with that dreadful crackly tune interspersed with "sorry to keep you waiting" 😡
2 REPLIES 2
silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Blocked packets? Customer support not responding?

Looks like the majority of your blocked packets are originating from a speed testing service "speedtest.as49962.net [91.240.224.50]". Some of these services offer to send repeated probes to check the quality of your service over time. Do you recall signing up to such a services and if so does it require you to set up a port forwarding rule? If so the rule may have been in your old router but not in the new one.

SlashyMcKnifey

Re: Blocked packets? Customer support not responding?

Hi silentmonkey, thanks for responding. I've only ever used speedtest by ookla or the bt one, not the one you mentioned and certainly have never signed up to anything like that before. Any idea how I can get rid? I clicked on the link in your message and it just came up with a black page and what appeared to be a link in blue, not something I recognise.