Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked hosting on Plusnet

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: Blocked hosting on Plusnet

Quote from: jelv
....If this is something always on your own connection (and not on a laptop you use elsewhere) there's no reason not to use the plusnet relay to send messages. Plusnet do not block outgoing emails with different domains as the sender.

I do use the laptop elsewhere but obviously not on the guilty IP address I have no idea which of all the devices may be causing this, if at all. All the emails are IMAP so I can use Spamsieve on my office Mac which screens all emails then forwards them to my phone, iPad and MacBook Pro it's virtually wiped out the junk mail so well worth having.
When (if) I get to grips with wireshark I'll try and narrow it down further. Roll_eyes
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Hang on a minute... light bulb moment but also a shot in the dark. Just looked in the SMTP server list and some old relay addresses are still there could these have been causing an issue like all trying to login together as all my IMAP SMTP addresses should use hp***.hostpapa.com:username
Thanks JELV for the nudge. (assuming it's correct... thanks anyway)
WWWombat
Grafter

Where is the "SMTP server list" stored? What impact does it have on the sending of emails?
Jelv would appear to be on the right track here. SMTP AUTH is a process that happens during an attempt to transmit mail, usually as the first step from a mail client (which is what is being authenticated), less so during a relay.
On the earlier stuff:
Right - Cpanel tells me that it is a shared hosting, and you have no ability to manage your own server ... so you are indeed reliant on finding the rogue SMTP AUTH client.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
Where is the "SMTP server list" stored? What impact does it have on the sending of emails?
Jelv would appear to be on the right track here.....  Smiley

The SMTP Server list is in my mail client. Nor sure if you're familiar with Mac but it's in MAIL >> PREFERENCES >> ACCOUNTS >> OUTGOING MAIL SERVER (SMTP) Where with a plusnet email hosted address you'd put relay.plus.com If I remember correctly. Anyway, I've deleted them now along with the old POP3 Hostpapa ones and just left the SSL HP IMAP SMTP addresses on both the iMac and MacBook Pro If that makes any sense.
WWWombat
Grafter

I'm not privvy to the secrets of the Mac, but understand enough... I'd say there was a good chance this was causing the problem - especially if had more than one faulty address in that list.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I guess time will tell but it has been like it for a while. I.e. I've been using IMAP for sometime and the problem is a quite recent issue. I guess it's wait and see now. Till it next happens  Cheesy
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Whisper it quietly. I've gone 24hrs without being blocked. Watch this space.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Looking like it's stabilised. (looking for some wood to touch) Unless it's happened when I wasn't looking everything has been working correctly since last friday. I am assuming it was the old SMTP server settings that was the problem and clearing them out and leaving only the SSL ones for Hostpapa seems to have worked. I can't be 100% as other things have gone on too but it certainly looks like that was the problem.
Thanks everyone for leading me by the hand through the morass that is the intricacies of the world wide web. Several deserve praise but JELV's nudge about the relay thingy got me thinking.
Cheers all. Pat on the back. Hopefully that's the last of it.