cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion Routers advice.

barbieg43
Grafter

Billion Routers advice.

I am thinking of buying a Billion Bi Pac 8800nl or the more expensive 8800axl router . I know the axl version combines the router and modem, and the cheaper you need your own Modem but I have some questions. My exchange use a Broadcom chip, is the BT modem the same? Also how important is it to have the 2  channels (2.5 and 5 ) on the axl model? I use a MacBook and IPad, and PC and Android smart phone. Can anyone give me any advice. I am getting Fibre fitted today, I hope..
2 REPLIES 2
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Billion Routers advice.

The NL version is also a combined modem & router!
I have the NL and find it is OK for my needs. But, it only has one gigabyte port, and, 3 ordinary ports.
That's OK for me - I have a gigabyte switch on the one gigabyte port.
I have about half a dozen bits on wifi and a similar number on Ethernet with it and it handles everything fine.
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Billion Routers advice.

There are two versions of the BT modem, one made by Huawei with a Broadcom chip and one made by ECI with a Lantiq chip - you'll probably only know which one you're getting when you get it.
5GHz is only of use if your various devices (or at least most of them) can use it.  2.4GHz is pretty congested in some areas so can cause lower throughput on wi-fi but the technology can handle a fair bit of 'congestion' without loosing too much speed.  If you install something like the 'Wi-fi Analyser' app on your Android phone you can see how congested the 2.4GHz band is locally (Also the 5GHz band if your phone supports it).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.