cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion 8800NL R2 - Plusnet Fibre Settings

N7ck
Grafter

Billion 8800NL R2 - Plusnet Fibre Settings

Today I went back to my 8800NL R2 router after having some problems with the Hub One and also discovering that some new firmware was released which hopefully fixes the "Random Reboot" issue.

But it took me a VERY long time to get it to connect as certain options that I needed to enter were rather hard to find and was unable to find these settings on this forum.

So I thought I would tell you which settings I used to get connected...

Select - Quick Start

Main Port - DSL
Layer2 interface - PTM (VDSL)
Username - username@plusdsl.net
Password - Whatever you use to log into the Plusnet Portal.
Service - Plusnet (But you can also leave it blank).
Authentication Method - CHAP (I originally selected AUTO, but have since changed it).
IPv4 Address - Untick (I do not currently have a Static IP).
IPv6 for this service - Untick
MTU - 1492 (Default)

After that was completed I was still unable to connect as there were two options that I had to enter to get it to work...

Go to Configuration - WAN and on the far right, click Edit

802.1P Priority - 0
802.1Q VLAN ID - 101

After entering these two numbers and applying the changes, I was instantly connected!

I hope this helps Wink

Just thought I would add something...

If you have this router or are interested in purchasing it, you may want to upgrade the firmware to the latest version:
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/423/119/latest-bipac-8800nl...

There have been some issues with the router randomly rebooting and although I haven't been using this firmware long, reports on the Billion forum regarding this firmware is that this issue has been fixed!

14 REPLIES 14
keithfedi

Re: Billion 8800NL R2 - Plusnet Fibre Settings

Strange these last two settings having to be set as I had no issues having updated the 8800NL R2 firmware and rebooted with factory defaults. Username and password was all I had to put in. Incidentally I did have the random reboot issue which only started to occur after I’d had the router 6 months.
OldRaft
Grafter

I have just installed a Billion 8800NL R2  I used the settings in this post in "Quick Start"  but I did not have to make these..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After that was completed I was still unable to connect as there were two options that I had to enter to get it to work...

Go to Configuration - WAN and on the far right, click Edit

802.1P Priority - 0
802.1Q VLAN ID - 101

After entering these two numbers and applying the changes, I was instantly connected!" 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions are also in this post

From <https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-setup-parameters-for-Billion-BiPAC-8800NL-mode...>  )  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am connecting to a Synology 2600ac router, i.e. not using the Billion 8800NL R2 for Internet connectivity.

What was painful was that the Billion pdf does not explain how to do what I assumed would be called the "Bridged Mode"  or "Modem only"  mode, it does not as far as I can see mention which connection to use to connect between the 8810 and the 2600ac.  This is Ethernet port 4  (the most left hand one looking at the back of the 8800) this port goes to the blue connection (WAN1)  on the back of the 2600ac.

I ended up with these two 8800 + 2600ac via this site...

www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk

This site has some excellent info on most types of broadband connections and lots of tips and checks you can do to improve the speed of your connection if you have a modem that allows you to make config changes.

This site also has an excellent guide to terms and terminology

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dsl_modem_and_router_guide#dsl_modems01_02.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned I used the settings in this post to get my FTTC (fibre to cabinet) connection.  Assuming that for some reason it worked on PPPoE but should be set to "Bridged Mode" I selected this instead, result DSL connected (light on) but no Internet.   The 8800 then needed a factory reset (the pin hole in the back) for me to set the original parameters and connect within seconds. I have found a couple of times if you just make one (wrong?) change then resetting this change does not get you back where you were = working modem.

An interesting trick if you have FTTC  is to check if vectoring is on via Telnet to the 8800 see this site www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk for the technique.  In my case the vectoring setting was "5"  i.e. NOT on if it is "1" then you will get a much faster connection.

N7ck
Grafter

Weird, maybe it was a bug with my firmware or something.

Anyway, since upgrading the firmware to version 2.52.d11, I've not lost connection once in...68 days!

68.PNG

Can't really complain about that Grin

OldRaft
Grafter

Apologies for not replying to this, life and its ups and downs got in the way.

I will post more on settings etc. but just wondered what speeds you are getting now (July 2019) ?Huh

I check every now and then and usually get 40/10  ish, today I get   40/1   a massive decrease in Upload speed.

Checking for any problem, but other than mounting the Billion horizontally a couple of days ago, nothing changed, certainly not the config which is just stayed the same since my last install. 

OldRaft
Grafter

Not sure if you know the check on the actual speed set by the ISP, which can be seen on the Status screen on the Billion? 

N7ck
Grafter

You mean this page:

Status.PNG

?

I did turn mine off a while back as I rearranged my lounge, but it's still running at a similar speed.

Uptime.PNG

N7ck
Grafter

I recently bought one of these routers for my mum as the plusnet ones wireless just kept cutting out and the router would just stop working altogether.

I also didn't need to do this part that you mentioned:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After that was completed I was still unable to connect as there were two options that I had to enter to get it to work...

802.1P Priority - 0
802.1Q VLAN ID - 101

After entering these two numbers and applying the changes, I was instantly connected!" 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Weird, maybe i was on a different firmware.

OldRaft
Grafter

Good to know that a Billion fixed things.  

Are you saying that you did or didn't have to add these extra parameters?

I think I said I didn't but looking back I think in the end     I did enter them before it worked,     I'm also on the same firmware as yourself.

Yes to the speed and data screen, useful to see the theoretical and actual speed, the difference is probably taking away the protocol overhead.  For anyone reading this, this is the way to check what the ISP has set at the exchange = the max you are going to get.

My Upload speed decrease mysteriously went away!  the morning after I posted it on another ticket here. Still good now. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone reading this and installing a Billion router just as a modem i.e. with another router behind it, I used the instructions found somewhere on this site...

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk    (search for setting up the Billion for BT TV I think) as the Billion manual does not have a section just for use as a modem!  Neither does it mention the two parameters needed to actually get it to work with this sites instructions. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i.e.

802.1P Priority - 0
802.1Q VLAN ID - 101

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OldRaft
Grafter

I guess, searching on "802.1Q VLAN ID - 101"  that this is just to assign a port on the Billion (used just as a modem)  to talk to the attached router.

This I assume determines which port on the back connects to the router, in my case not one of the four yellow ports (the switch) but the BLUE port which is probably normally used for the input from say a cable modem. 

"Gb EWAN

Connect to Fiber/ Cable/ xDSL Modem with a RJ-45 cable,
for broadband connectivity.
Note: Ethernet #5 (EWAN) is a LAN / WAN Configurable Port ; it can
be configured as a WAN Interface for Broadband connectivity"

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You guess wrongly, VLAN ID 101 is a requirement for the VDSL2 modem connection to function and nothing to do with the ethernet port allocation.

OldRaft
Grafter

Fascinating, could you give me a little more detail as to how this config works? 

N7ck
Grafter

What's so fascinating about this setting?
I don't mean to be rude, but you're taking this thread a bit off subject. If you're so fascinated by this setting, maybe start your own thread asking about it. Alternatively, search for an answer yourself.
OldRaft
Grafter

Correct as I initially said  "in my case not one of the four yellow ports "

But this does not explain what you mean by "VLAN ID 101 is a requirement for the VDSL2 modem connection" 

Obviously it is as suggested by Billion themselves.

Do you actually know what this config is doing ? 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@OldRaft You are getting rather obsessed with the Vlan config, it is just a part of the communications protocol used on Openreach FTTC circuits. The following extracts are from the Openreach description of the FTTC service and requirements.

1.2 Service Availability. Openreach will provide GEA-FTTC as an ‘always on’ Virtual LAN (VLAN) between the Layer 2 Switch Optical Line Termination (L2S) equipment in the exchange and the End User premises. 

3.2.4 WAN VLAN Layer.
R.WAN.1 The modem shall support IEEE 802.1q VLAN encapsulation. …...

R.WAN.6 Where the CP intends to use GEA data and Multicast for GEA services the VLAN ID shall be set to 101 (ingress and egress).  Traffic without a correct VLAN ID will be dropped.

If you want more details have a look at this :-  SIN498  It is only 133 pages Smiley

Apologies to @N7ck for another off-topic post