cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big variation in Speed

BertieBassett
Grafter

Big variation in Speed

Evening all,  Unlimited fibre drops away to slowish speed as the day progresses. Normally pick up the problem at Netflix time etc. Speed test runs the numbers as low as under 10 mbps at times. Turn the router on and off, though, and off it flies back up to 30+ mpbs. It happens daily now. Obviously minimum guaranteed speed is around 30 - but is this symptomatic of local issues. Kids next door playing Fortnite or something, and a big drain on the system? Any views please?

3 REPLIES 3
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Big variation in Speed

Hi @BertieBassett

Thanks for raising this - I've tested your connection and you're currently in sync at 40mb/s.

Based on the information you've provided, this sounds like a wifi speed issue - could you run a speed test via a wired, ethernet connection and let us know the results?

Best wishes

Dave

BertieBassett
Grafter

Thanks Dave - Thanks for testing it. yes it does run fast at times - but falls away sometimes at, what I suppose to be, peak times. Turning the router of and on sends it flying again. The only thing within reach of a cable will be my laptop - next time it happens I'll try that. Regards.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @BertieBassett 

No problem, let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet