cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big upstream speed difference between speedtest.net & BT wholesale test - why?

grahamt
Rising Star

Big upstream speed difference between speedtest.net & BT wholesale test - why?

Can anyone tell me why there is such a big difference, for my reported upstream speed, between the BT wholesale test and Ookla's speedtest.net?

On a 20mb/s upstream profile, BT Wholesale gives me just 3.10mb/s whereas speedtest.net gives me 12.40mb/s.This is consistent. My feeling is that speedtest.net is more accurate.

Also (and probably not related), in the last couple of days my upstream speed as reported by speedtest.net has dropped from 15.80mb/s, which it has been consistently for several months, to 12.40mb/s. Any idea what might have caused that?

If it's relevant, I have an Openreach ECI modem connecting to a Huawei cabinet. (So I don't think I've been affected by the G.INP changes to ECI cabinets reported in another thread). My downstream BT IP profile is 64.78mb/s,

2 REPLIES 2
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Big upstream speed difference between speedtest.net & BT wholesale test - why?

I've noticed the same for my line when comparing the speeds at BTW against Thinkbroadband. It has been happening since the end of February.

On TBB I get 20Mbps upload consistently but BTW is in the 6Mbps region (I'm lucky to have FTTP so expect TBB to be 20Mbps and BTW to be 19Mbps give or take a decimal place or two)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: Big upstream speed difference between speedtest.net & BT wholesale test - why?

Thanks. Good to know it's not just me, and if it's happening with FTTP it's probably not because of line quality.

Incidentally, my upstream speed on speedtest last night (just after midnight) was 14.20mb/s, so I guess there's just a lot of variation. Puzzling rather than worrying.