cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big speed drop on FTTC

TCB123
Dabbler

Big speed drop on FTTC

I originally had a download speed of about 46Mbps which was stable for many months. It has since dropped to about 31Mbps. I contacted Plusnet support and they said this was normal and not a fault. Someone else on this forum with a much smaller speed drop has been told this is a fault:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,148789.0.html
What is the truth here?
10 REPLIES 10
HughPH
Grafter

Re: Big speed drop on FTTC

The other post says that the service IS AFFECTED BY AN EXISTING NETWORK EVENT - the way I would read that would be that they know what caused it (e.g. some nearby works that may have generated a lot of RFI/EMI) and that there is no electrical fault detected. In those circumstances I would expect the speed would recover after a little while (after the noise has gone) although it might be necessary for an engineer to manually trigger that recovery.
To say that this is "the same" would need more investigation and more detail - but the symptoms are the same, so it's likely to be a similar issue: a temporary event that caused localised excess noise affecting broadband lines in the area.
In the worst case, it's a non-temporary issue - i.e. someone's installed something that generates a lot of RFI/EMI near the phone line. I should be syncing at 28000Kbps but I only get 25000Kbps because there is something near my line that regularly spanners it with 2dB of noise - I've been producing graphs from the stats in the modem and I can see it sometimes drop for 15 minutes and then recover, and other times it drops for 48 hours and only recovers for 10 minutes. The way it turns on and off, I strongly suspect there's some nearby hardware (e.g. the farmer's generator) causing the noise.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@TCB123
As the BTW tests are showing red, I would log a fault at http://faults.plus.net/
Something is amiss and the red on the chart indicates that Plusnet should get their supplier (BTW) to check for faults.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
TCB123
Dabbler

I have already done that and was told there was no fault even though I had lost a third of my download speed and the chart was red.
mav:quote
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How are you testing, wired or wireless?
I have noticed the BTW site gives out odd results at times.
Are you able to print out a copy of your routerstats/Helpdesk page?
TCB123
Dabbler

I have a Draytek 3130N router connect via the BT box directly to the master socket. No wireless involved.
dick:quote
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. From the information you've provided here, the router is syncing at 32.4 Mb which is under the speed estimate you linked. The next step would be to plug the router into the test socket (behind the master socket). If the sync hasn't improved and you've tried a different router, then I would recommend commenting on the fault ticket (or raising it again if it has timed out), making our faults team aware that the router is syncing too low.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
TCB123
Dabbler

I don't think I can connect to behind the master socket for a long test as this would mean disconnecting our phone.
I have a Huawei HG612 B3 modem which I assume is doing the syncing and nothing else to try. My Draytek router plugs directly into the modem.
dick:quote
TCB123
Dabbler

I have been reading up about the effect of crosstalk and could this be my problem?
My speed started stably and about 46. After a year or more it dropped to be stable at about 40 (If I remember right). Now it has dropped to be stable at about 32. Could be when other people were connected up?

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: TCB123
I don't think I can connect to behind the master socket for a long test as this would mean disconnecting our phone

I think a photo is called for a proper mk3 socket has separate phone  and broadband sockets so that your phone can stay connected while you remove the bottom plate to access the test socket. The filtering is built in with the mk3 too  Sad
/ edit I've got it the wrong way round testing is wth the phone disconnected as the OP states  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: TCB123
I have been reading up about the effect of crosstalk and could this be my problem?
My speed started stably and about 46. After a year or more it dropped to be stable at about 40 (If I remember right). Now it has dropped to be stable at about 32. Could be when other people were connected up?

Hard to say it could be crosstalk  then again it could be a fault that is able to be fixed you wont know until a Engineer does some tests, get back to support and tell them you want a engineer visit booked your under the required Estimate don't take no for a answer.